Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/15/2005 6:17:24 PM EST
I have what looks to be a AK-103 rifle. I bought it a while back at a gun show when the ban was still in place I believe for $430 out the door. First off it has NO bayonet lug on it. But other than that it looks exactly like the AK-103 they advertise, it also has a great trigger in it, as good any AR I own.

OK my question is how do you know is this a Krebs Custom Rifle, I see no marking on it that would indicate it was from them. The gun only has the the standard Russian Saiga receiver markings on it.
(pics big but will load well.)

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:02:12 PM EST
All in-house made Krebs guns I've seen have their logo plate on the left side. I suppose that rifle could have been sent in as a parts kit, then built up by Krebs (as mine). But any rifle Krebs builds for sale and stocks has their logo on it. I have an akms built by Krebs....no Krebs mark on it since I sent in all the parts and the receiver. The no bayonet lug on the front is bizarre.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:04:45 PM EST
The more I think about it, I think it's just a saiga conversion done by someone (will never know who) using bulgarian parts. They trimmed the bayonet lug completely off rather than just milling the sides because they didn't know they could just be trimmed and still be legal or they didn't care about having the partial lug on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:29:04 PM EST
OK that's what I was leaning towards myself thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:29:42 PM EST
That coating looks like Powder coat to me (from the sparkling finish evident via the camera's flash). It might be an AK-USA AK-103, and there may be markings on the muzzle brake (since that's the American part they make). Check the Serial No and call them up. Then again, it may just be someone else's doing.

themao
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:53:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By themao:
That coating looks like Powder coat to me (from the sparkling finish evident via the camera's flash). It might be an AK-USA AK-103, and there may be markings on the muzzle brake (since that's the American part they make). Check the Serial No and call them up. Then again, it may just be someone else's doing.

themao

I don't believe that Chris Butler at AK-USA uses a powder coat although he may have in the past. Currently, he uses a product called Cerakote.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:04:53 AM EST
What ever the coating is.. it's on everypart of the gun. I don't think anything could reach the metal of the gun to cause any wear or tear much less rust to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:35:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2005 6:36:11 AM EST by JaketheSnakeOO7]
Hey I wonder if this thing came from www.ak-103.com/home.html??
It has no marking from Krebs but on the right side of the revciever it says:
KALASHINKOV-USA
Pt St. Lucie, FL, USA

(I'm thinking more and more it's a saiga conversion.)
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:43:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By tapeo1:

I don't believe that Chris Butler at AK-USA uses a powder coat although he may have in the past. Currently, he uses a product called Cerakote.

In the past he did, yes. He doesn't use it anymore. He applied Powder Coat to my SAR-2 though, and it works great. I have noticed though that the finish near the front sight's peg (where one adjusts the sight) has rubbed off a little, but that's normal when you use an AK sight tool I guess.

JaketheSnake007 wrote : Hey I wonder if this thing came from www.ak-103.com/home.html??
It has no marking from Krebs but on the right side of the revciever it says:
KALASHINKOV-USA
Pt St. Lucie, FL, USA

(I'm thinking more and more it's a saiga conversion.

First, it is a Saiga conversion. I'm sorry if I didn't mention that before.

Kalashinkov USA, eh? That's definitely not AK-USA. I think Chris Butler bought their tooling and parts. They used to make those AK-103 conversions off the Saiga rifle a long time ago, even before Krebs Custom started producing theirs I think. I think they actually used to import the Saiga rifles as well. This was way back before 2001 when I became interested in AKs, so somebody else on this site will know the 100% correct details.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:48:52 AM EST
Thanks for the info themao and everybody else I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:00:17 PM EST
Where`d the sling come from?
I`d like one like it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:40:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By DV:
Where`d the sling come from?
I`d like one like it.

That's just a plain jane Bulgarian sling DV:

www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=216&1=263&2=-1&6=1

They even have a black one now, which I wish I had on my SAR-2. I have other things to worry about and buy right now, so I'll grab one later.

JaketheSnakeOO7: No problem, but like I said, I'm not 100% positive. I do remember that company and their web site though. They were the first, or one of the firsts, to convert the Saiga rifle into an AK-103. I think AK-USA Krebs bought their tooling.

themao
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:03:00 PM EST
Thanks themao-
kind of new to AK`s and didn`t know where to start looking-
Top Top