Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/14/2009 6:31:17 AM EDT
just got this AK today i got it used and i'm having some problems with the bolt closing on a chambered round, if i insert a new mag and pull it all the way to the rear and release it it will close on the round but it will not cycle on it's own, the bolt hits right on the lip of the chambered round, any ideas? first AK and i know nothing about them
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Which 5.45x39 rifle do you have?

Will the rifle chamber the first round?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#2]
it's a wasr-2 it will chamber the first round but it wont go fully into battery cycling on it's own
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm assuming your bolt support is hanging up on the hammers hump as well as the normal support to rail fit and stiff fully loaded mags.

Easiest fix is to buy some of that JB bore conditioning/cleaning compound and lube all parts that make metal on metal contact during cycling.

Hand cycle the weapon about 100 times an then clean all the JB compound off.  Try shooting again and see if it helps.  If there isn't enough improvement but is some just repeat the process.

In general you sound like you just need some break in time.  The JB allows you to break in faster without any risk of damage as it is a polishing/cleaning compound and not a harsh grinding compound.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the input guys, it looks like the bolt is slamming into the chambered round, like it's not lined up to hit home right? the extractor wont jump over the lip, i have no idea what the round count is on this weapon
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
well i polished the said parts, cleaned it and cleaned it again, oiled it up and still no dice starting to have my doubts about the AK platform
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
well i polished the said parts, cleaned it and cleaned it again, oiled it up and still no dice starting to have my doubts about the AK platform

If the AK was never built correct in the first place; you cant expect it to work correctly  

I have 2x 5.45s and i have ran thru 6k b/t the 2 in 1 year.  Maybe 1 ftf due to excessive pressure on the magazine.  Btw, i only use surplus and surplus performsssssss
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
+1.  Don't know Comrade Kalashnikov's design as he's hailed as a God on the dark side of the forum.  Plus, you're basing your opinion of not being so sure because of one builder who slapped a kit together without knowing what the hell he's doing.  I have a total of 3 AK's and my first was bought 15 years ago.  I have a Norinco MAK-90 (Chinese as you know), Bulgarian SLR-105 for a couple years, and just bought a Romy G underfolder somebody did a beautiful job on.  Built by Lancaster.  I haven't had a single solitary failure to fire in ANY of my AK's.  I've probably got close to 10,000 rounds of all kinds of ammo between them.  If they're built right, they'll run and run and run.  But there are a lot of "builders" out there these days slapping them together that I wouldn't trust to change the oil in my lawnmower.  Get your problem fixed and you won't believe how reliable of a platform you've got.  They will truly run when NOTHING out there will.

And by the way, I go to a competition shoot every month and compete against guys that all have tricked out M-4's.  My SLR-105 with Russian Kobra can keep up with their stuff any day of the week.  Inside of 300 yards, I'll take my SLR-105 over my OWN M-4 (with nearly $3000 invested in) any day of the week.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top