Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
Just returned from centerfire counter sales. Went to pick up a couple of the bulgy kits. Going to try my first build with these types of firearms. Asked the guy if they had any of the models with attached bipod. He came out with a kit marked rpk and said this was the only one they had. Question I have is did I get price gouged paying 380 and change? All the #s match and the bore looks ok. But thats quite a bit for a kit when i could of gotten 4 of the others for about the same money. What is the country of origin for this model? the #s on the trunion are UO 1908 1989. Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:32:17 AM EDT
RPK kits will always cost more than any other kit (except krinks). I think you did alright.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:40:49 AM EDT
You bought a Romainian RPK kit mfg. in 1989 ... I'd say you did fine ...

I have 2 RPK kits and the last one I bought cost me $460.00 shipped ...

It did come with a cleaning rod and flash hider ... Bore is mint ...

Lack of a receiver is what is troubling me now !! ...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:37:00 PM EDT
Thanks for the input. My only builds are of the stg58& g3 variety got them pretty well worked out and wanted to try something a little different. Geuss Ill start looking for a reciever. Dont think any machining issues will be a problem Ive been a toolmaker for 25yrs. Thinking about building my own forming dies to bend those reciever flats you can get. Is there anywhere I can find the specs. for the heat treat temps.?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
hoss1962, welcome to the forum, I wish I had your skills. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a cowboy, I wish I had been thinking "toolmaker, toolmaker". I have a friend that is a toolmaker, with every machine known to man, he's made several un-findable gun parts for me. He won't take anything but beer, for his work. Toolmakers rock!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:53:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 8:40:28 AM EDT by jugrunner]
Yeah .... He may be the "Man" ... We may need him to fab up some receivers for the damn RPKs ...

Good to have you on board !!! ... Welcome to the really darkside hoss1962 ....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:52:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hoss1962:
Thanks for the input. My only builds are of the stg58& g3 variety got them pretty well worked out and wanted to try something a little different. Geuss Ill start looking for a reciever. Dont think any machining issues will be a problem Ive been a toolmaker for 25yrs. Thinking about building my own forming dies to bend those reciever flats you can get. Is there anywhere I can find the specs. for the heat treat temps.?

hoss ... All the info you will ever need is available on this board ... I'm just not qualified to answer ...

I usually hang around asking stupid questions and stirring the stink pot ...

With your background in weapons and machining and a desire to do the AK thing, you won't have any problems finding help in the details ...

A person could probably do pretty well for themselves by actually mfg and selling receivers for RPKs and the Yugo AKs ...

I've seen a couple of actual receivers and heard a lot of talk ... No receivers yet ...

Keep asking questions hoss ... Someone (not me) with some actual knowledge will come along and get you the answer ...

Good luck ....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:54:43 PM EDT
Geuss ill start work on some tooling designs looks like Im gonna need them. Got a couple of flat blanks in the other day from tapco. And reciever finally arrived from JOKE N . Ive got 4 kits of various styles and wanted it to give me something to go by on the radiuses and stuff. Thats what soured me against ordering anymore they told me 2 week delivery and I got it 6weeks later. So I figured what the hell Ill teach myself on this one too. If you guys need anything let me know but youll have to supply somekind of dims. Had a wild idea the other day. thought about machining a decent nagant barrel to go with the yugo uf kit to replace the pos that came with it. But the big ?is that are the bolts close enough to possibly modify to take the change? And you got that right BEER is the international currency for toolmakers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:58:57 PM EDT
That's about what I paid from centerfire. Trust me you won't lose ANY money on that kit.

Did you get a cleaning rod? If not, check out KVAR - they may still have a few left. Shoot them an email.

Top Top