Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2003 5:30:28 PM EDT
for those of you, if any! that removed the blueing on your bolt carrier for the polished look, did you only do the section that is visable when the bolt is closed or the whole bolt and carrier?
how did it turn out and is it worth the effort?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It is simple says everyone who has done it. Follow these directions here: linx310.nothingbutguns.com/chrome.htm

I just purchased another AK-74 bolt and carrier for this very reason...to go onto my Type-88 clone.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I did mine and I like it better.

heres some picts.

SAR3

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a post on this a little while ago, but I couldn't find it.

I did mine and I like it. See it here: community.webshots.com/user/keith_sparks

I used the dremel polishing pack from Wal*Mart. Seen Here: www.dremel.com/html/home_fr.html

I tried using the bluing remover in those instructions above, but all it did was bubble it up a little. Wound up using the abrasive fuzzy thing in the dremel polishing pack to finish the job. Then I used a rubber abrasive impregnated bit to remove machine marks (#425 wheel and #461 bit). Got to polishing with some compound and 2 hours later I could see myself in it. I've gone even farther than those pictures in my webshots album, which IMHO is way overboard. The reason I went farther is that at first polishing makes every blemish show up just that much more.

Most of the carrier looks like brushed stainless, but the charging handle, the side you can see, and the top is highly polished. The bottom, grooves, bolt and all other parts remain black.

It was a fun project, and if you don't like it it's reversable.

That rubber wheel is good for polishing the FCG too as explained in those instructions at nothing but guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies,
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I did mine, and it only succeded in pissing me off!  It comes out way to shiny for my taste, and the Romanian machine work is too inconsistant for an even shine.  

I know it's not what you were asking about, but I reccomend you send the gun to Inrange and have them do there standard refinish (paint over park) and tell them to leave the bolt carrier light parked only.  At $75 bucks it's an inexpensive way to make your SAR look world class. They do great work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top