Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 4:57:58 PM EST
I'm finishing up a polish underfolder build and I'm missing two of the pins for the folding stock.

What can be used in its place? should a it be hardened like the factories or would a nail cut to size be fine?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:01:25 PM EST
Go to a well stocked hardware store and check out their pins, if you do use a nail at leats use a concrete nail.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:35:10 PM EST
I had the same problem but found some solutions. The diameter of the pins are 3 mm. What you want are 3 x 20 mm pins made out of tool steel. I forgot what they call them - dowel pins - and I purchased them for about $0.50 apiece at a specialty bolt store near Seattle. The other option is to get a 3 mm diameter dowel rod and cut the pins yourself. If you look around the internet you can buy a 3 foot long section for about $10 including shipping. I looked around at hardware stores and even if your found a nail that is of sufficient strength it will have a diameter measured in fractions of inches rather than in metric units.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:50:57 PM EST
Thanks for the relpies. I used the smooth side of a drill bit. It seems to do ok, but I'll going to keep a lookout for actual 3mm pins.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:40:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By APBullet:
Thanks for the relpies. I used the smooth side of a drill bit. It seems to do ok, but I'll going to keep a lookout for actual 3mm pins.

Be careful with that. Drill bits are usually hard, but brittle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 2:35:50 AM EST
I have use 3mm drill rod for this. Email me your addy and I'll send you some.

Mike
Top Top