Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page AK-47 » Polish
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2011 2:47:41 PM EST
Quick poll. Does you polish tantal keyhole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:15:00 PM EST
I bought mine from another Arfcommer, he swore it didn't keyhole before I bought it. I took it to the range and it didn't keyhole. Even though the Tantal threads even have a serial number range that seems to always keyhole. Mine is within the serial number range of the ones that everyone says DO keyhole.

I've put 3 different ammo types through mine and not had any keyholes, russian surplus, buglarian surplus, and monarch.
Guess I got lucky.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:15:18 AM EST
In fact I just re-tested mine (1/9 bbl) yesterday after seeing Sturmgewer's video on his that did keyhole, and once again with three different ammo types at 50 and 100 yards, no keyholes!!! got the bbl good and hot too! Wolf 60 and 70 grainers, and Russian surplus...and the Russian surplus seems to be "eaten" by the bbl all the way when inserted in the muzzle...the 1/9 bbl seems loose with this surplus, but no keyholes! The WOLF enters the muzzle about halfway. Strange. My Tantal has been my truck gun for two years now and has yet to fail, even frozen...I have a bulgy surplus wood stock on it and I love it. I'll tell you one thing that surplus ammo sure is dirty! I mean really dirty! I know a person who was in the Ukrainian Army in the late 80's and he told me they had Russian AK-74s as issue and that "the round was designed to tumble at the slightest resistence"...not 2 or three inches in like the gun rags say. is this bull? or is it a clue as to why so many of these bullets "tumble"? I wish Sturmgewer would have shot his with the brake off, in the video you can see sparks when some of the rounds are fired...I wonder. Just wondering about this whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:18:20 AM EST
In fact I just re-tested mine (1/9 bbl) yesterday after seeing Sturmgewer's video on his that did keyhole, and once again with three different ammo types at 50 and 100 yards, no keyholes!!! got the bbl good and hot too! Wolf 60 and 70 grainers, and Russian surplus...and the Russian surplus seems to be "eaten" by the bbl all the way when inserted in the muzzle...the 1/9 bbl seems loose with this surplus, but no keyholes! The WOLF enters the muzzle about halfway. Strange. My Tantal has been my truck gun for two years now and has yet to fail, even frozen...I have a bulgy surplus wood stock on it and I love it. I'll tell you one thing that surplus ammo sure is dirty! I mean really dirty! I know a person who was in the Ukrainian Army in the late 80's and he told me they had Russian AK-74s as issue and that "the round was designed to tumble at the slightest resistence"...not 2 or three inches in like the gun rags say. is this bull? or is it a clue as to why so many of these bullets "tumble"? I wish Sturmgewer would have shot his with the brake off, in the video you can see sparks when some of the rounds are fired...I wonder. Just wondering about this whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 2:44:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By gewamser:

Were did you see this video I would like to watch it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:44:28 AM EST
Military Arms Channel on Youtube...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:42:16 AM EST
I tried the Tula branded 60 gr. ammo through my Tantal....very inaccurate and 2/3 of the shots keyholed. The Tula ammo also keyholed from a Romanian SAR-2 as well. No problems with Wolf 60 and 70gr.
Page AK-47 » Polish
Top Top