Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2005 9:38:16 AM EDT
Is it a problem if the piston wobbles a bit where it interfaces with the bolt carrier?  That EW I have been posting about has that.  Also, my buddies WASR when we stripped it we saw that his piston was loose, as in about to fall out. We tightened it back in by hand but it easily able to be turned out. What do we do about this?

Any ifo would help.

TIA
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
well it should wobble a bit, but you should not be able to unscrew it.  sounds like another wonderful case of Century Arms quality control.  you will have to pin the piston back in.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So mine with the wobble is OK?

But my freind's that comes out is not?  Where do you get a pin and how do you put it in?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You want a little wobble, not much.
As for the WASR, the easy solution is to just mash the threads.  Typical carriers have a hole drilled all the way through so when the piston is screwed in, you can see the threads.  Take a punch or something pointy and mash the threads.  Keeps it from coming out and you could always drill out the mashed threads if you need to remove it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
The piston should be screwed all the way into the BC, then backed off 1/2 turn and pinned.

The factory pins ran horizontally thru the BC about .375 from the end and they were .125 in dia.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The Official Soviet AKM Manual, translated by James F. Gebhardt (Paladin Press, Boulder, CO: 1999).

Under "Procedure for inspection of the rifle by officers", in Section 72, subsection 3) (p. 49), it reads:

"3) During inspection of the bolt carrier pay special attention to the attachment of the gas piston. A slight wiggle is permissable."

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top