Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/30/2003 5:15:13 PM EDT
I've had 2 double taps in the last week in my yugo.  the first time i beat myself up for not cleaning the firing pin channel well enough.  i went home and hit it with some brake cleaner, and it seemes to free up.  Then it happened again, this time more brake cleaner, worked a drill bit through the firing pin channel.  I also discovered a small burr on the firing pin itself- which i polished off.

Is there anything else that can cause this?  i've only devoted attention to the firing pin/firing pin channel thus far.  Everytime it happens there is white smoke that comes from the reciever/bolt area, and a little out of the trigger.  Is there anything else I can check out?  i haven't had a chance to test it out again yet, but i'm a little weary of having yet another unintentional FA experience.  Both times it happened it quit when i released the trigger, there was more ammo in the mag both times.  the ammo is wolf FMJ, any thoughts?  thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a problem that should be checked by a competent semi auto gunsmith.  It is a serious problem and should not be allowed to continue.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
What ammo are you using?  I was told when I bought mine to only use ammo with relatively hard primers.  He told me to use surplus or Wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
register it!
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
hehe, it seems to be more free now than ever before- it moves like the one in my AR, which it never has before.  

shotar, i was thinking that the problem was that the firing pin was sticking in its forward position.  is there something else that it could be?  what i want to do is go one more range session to see if it's safe, however, if you can give me reason not to then i will send it off to my smith.  as i said it has done this twice, and both times it was only fired 2 rounds when there were still more in the mag.  thanks for the help.

as far a registering it, maybe if it were FA predictably and on purpose then i'd do it.  man, does it start to climb only with 2 shots though, not sure that i could keep it down in true FA- not to worry, my club has baffles up, not that they want me to shoot them.  thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Pilot;
For all US GI semi/full auto rifles, armorers are issued firing pin protrusion gauges. Meaning there could be out of spec firing pins being too long and causing doubling or even full auto fire.
On the SKS, I'am unaware of such a gauge or the specs as to how many .000" a pin is to protrude beyond the bolt face.
Since your pin/bolt are free of cosmoline or burrs, I would suggest purchasing another firing pin or removing about .001 - .002" off of the orginal with a stone.
Hope this helps!

Dave Mc
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
There can be a problem in the trigger group that will cause this. I copied the following info for safety from:
“Survivors” SKS FAQ

December 31, 2003

©2003 L. E. Schwartz. All rights reserved

Sludge and grime that keeps the sear from “snapping back” into position, can also “slam-fires”. Therefore, it is also important to keep the sear track clean. In addition, you will want to avoid weakening the spring on the sear. To prevent this type of “slam-fire”, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the fire control group.
<<<<<<<<<
Multiple Discharge Problems Attributable to Poor Cleaning: In addition to “slam-fires” caused by a seized or dirty firing pin, many believe that the design of the SKS trigger group can cause unintended “repeats” (even complete magazine dumps) when the trigger mechanism is not cleaned properly.

In any semi-automatic firearm, one of the most essential parts of the firing, ejection, reloading cycle is the cocking of the hammer for the next shot. The SKS uses a “sliding” sear, which has to "snap back" in time to catch the hammer. However, if the trigger group is full of cosmoline, or dirt, powder residue, or other “gunk” the sear can be sluggish getting back to its original position in time to catch the hammer. If this happens, the hammer will not be caught by the sear and will follow the bolt forward as it chambers the next round. This can cause doubles, triples or even full magazine dumps—an unsafe situation indeed. While not technically the same thing as a “slam-fire”, it is a potentially dangerous situation and for this reason proper cleaning of the SKS trigger group is a must.

When you remove the trigger group, make sure that the area around the sear and hammer is completely free of all grime and gunk. Also, do not use heavy grease or excessive oil in the sear/hammer area. Too much lubricant can actually attract dirt and grime. A light application of CLP or other suitable free flowing light gun oil will provide suitable lubrication.

The info can be found here:

http://members.ispwest.com/LESchwartz/SKS-FAQ.html#CLEAN_FCG_DISCUSS

Be careful,
Jim
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
wow, good info all around.  i'll try those later on today and see if i get anywhere.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I hesitate to do this, nut check here too.
Jim

www.sksboards.com/forum/index.php

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#10]
This is arfcom not .nutz.  We don't mind links to other boards that might have additional knowledge that we have not presented here.  The polite thing to do however is make the link hot so that we can all share the good Karma.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Shotar, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how to make the link hot. I have seen it done for others but have not learned how myself.
That line is supposed to read "but check here too".
I gotta start using spell check!
Jim
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top