BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2007 11:08:43 AM EDT
hi i was looking at my ak today and on the front sight there is a little flip up sight with a white faded dot on it and there is the same thing on the rear sight are these factory or after market add ons
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
no
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 3:33:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I just looked at my Yugo UF and it's got the flip up night sights too, but it looks like they were painted over.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My Yugo has the flip up night sights also, as did my Yugo SKS. I don't know if they're painted over or the luminescent material has just faded away, but they're not very useful anymore.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
i scraped the old stuff out and put in some new bright glow in the dark paint very nice
Link Posted: 12/27/2007 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
the tritium vials on my m70 underfolder are completely gone too, but i've still got some life left in the ones on my yugo sks.  soon i'll probably be replacing the tritium vials if i can get the right size.  i'd always heard they were totally unavailable, but i think they can be found.
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
 i'd always heard they were totally unavailable, but i think they can be found.

If you find a source, post it.  I don't think they are tritium vials, I thnk they are a phosphorescent plastic.  When I poked at mine, it seemed soft.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Some Yugo's came with sights drilled for tritium vials; some came with little indents for glow paint.

Tritium type rear:

Glow paint rear:

Tritium front ...

I have no pic of a glow paint front, but you get the idea.

Used to be, the place to find the vials was candlepowerforums.com, but now I don't know.

Mine:

Link Posted: 12/30/2007 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

If you find a source, post it.  I don't think they are tritium vials, I thnk they are a phosphorescent plastic.  When I poked at mine, it seemed soft.  

do they stay illuminated, even after being in the dark for a long time?  I would think it would be pretty easy to tell if they displayed some 'absorbed light', or were self-illuminating.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do they stay illuminated, even after being in the dark for a long time?  I would think it would be pretty easy to tell if they displayed some 'absorbed light', or were self-illuminating.

They glow on their own. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, with a half-life of twelve years - meaning in twelve years it will be half as bright as it was when new.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My yugo is a little different it seems.  Mine has the tritium type in the rear sight and the hi-viz paint on the front flip-up sight.  Is that the correct setup?  I would really like to find some new vials for the rear sight.  But they are very hard to find.  Even if i did find them I would not know what size to ask for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My yugo is a little different it seems.  Mine has the tritium type in the rear sight and the hi-viz paint on the front flip-up sight.  Is that the correct setup?  I would really like to find some new vials for the rear sight.  But they are very hard to find.  Even if i did find them I would not know what size to ask for.

1.5mm is the diameter you need. Anywhere from 4 to 6mm in length will do.

EDIT: Mix-match sight sets seem to be common.  Sucks you got the paint setup on the front one; the rear would be easier to change out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Great post!

My M70 has tritium front and rear. The right rear still glows faintly. I'd also like to replace the vials if replacements are available. Does anyone know the proper procedure for removing the front vial?

BTW, dixiedawg...the pictures were a great help with removing the rear vial.

azimuth
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
All the vials on my M70 was partially broken, so I ended up scraping the rest of them out with a needle or something.

Now they're all cleaned out and ready for replacements.
Link Posted: 1/2/2008 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Where would one find the replacement vials?  Trijicon?
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Not meaning t hijack, but this is sort of on-topic... how do you adjust the elevation of the front night sight?  It looks like it isn't attached to the post at all.  When you crank the sight post up or down to zero, how does the front night sight adjust to match?
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
i dont think you can
Link Posted: 1/3/2008 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i dont think you can

I guess you shouldn't be using night sights for 200-meter and above shots anyway.    It's probably going to be pretty close within 100 meters, even if you can't adjust it, assuming the FSB and rear sight have little or no cant.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 3:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
With mine I just need to aim a little high. Where I would aim center mass normally, I aim for the head area using the flip ups.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
 Just in case anybody is interested, I found that the vials are still available.  And here is the link,   1.5mm X 6mm Green Tritium vials  They started out at 10 bucks a pop.  But if you read down the tread, it seems the price has dropped to 6 bucks a vial.  I am gonna order a couple in the next week or so.  At least I will have two glowing.   LOL  As I am still new to the AK and have the mixed matched sights on my yugo.  Would it be easier to try to find and replace the front flip-up sight itself?  Or would it be easier to find and replace the whole FSB?
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#21]
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRITIUM-TUBES-H3-cells-light-knife-knives-gun-blade_W0QQitemZ320200665400QQihZ011QQcategoryZ40970QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found these on eBay, $400, If they were the right size,someone could buy them and sell here and make a few bucks at it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
 Just in case anybody is interested, I found that the vials are still available.  And here is the link,   1.5mm X 6mm Green Tritium vials  They started out at 10 bucks a pop.  But if you read down the tread, it seems the price has dropped to 6 bucks a vial.  I am gonna order a couple in the next week or so.  At least I will have two glowing.   LOL

Since I have the mixed matched sights on my yugo.  Would it be easier to try to find and replace the front flip-up sight itself?  Or would it be easier to find and replace the whole FSB?

Okay guys there they are, buy them buy them buy them NOW!!!

I don't see where they're $6 but dammit man, night sights for thirty bucks? A single tritium front sight post costs $80 for cryin out loud.

GA gunner don't get two, get three ... know what I'm sayin?
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Roj that DixieDawg, on the getting three.  I know it is not mentioned about being 6 bucks each.  But if you read some of the orders placed later on in the tread.  It works out to 6 bucks a vial instead of 10.  I will find out next week when I can order some.  Getting ready to head out on a road trip right now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I seem to remember when I ordered a set I got my ass reemed for violating the National Nuclear Regulatory statute.
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I seem to remember when I ordered a set I got my ass reemed for violating the National Nuclear Regulatory statute.

Are you kidding - for a single set of tritium vials?  What happened?
Link Posted: 1/6/2008 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Somebody in here read me the riot act. Don't remember who. They are shipped from Taiwan. If I had them, they would work great. Nice and bright. But since I'm a cop and know better, well I guess I'll never know.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#27]
What's the diff between ordering these and ordering a set from Trijicon?  Isn't it the same nuclear material, in the same qty?  I don't know how anyone could get in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/7/2008 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Somebody in here read me the riot act. Don't remember who. They are shipped from Taiwan. If I had them, they would work great. Nice and bright. But since I'm a cop and know better, well I guess I'll never know.

Funny, they never said anything to me.

Ahem. Not that I ever bought any tritium vials in the first place.

And those pics were just photoshopped. Too bad they still don't show how bright the sights are would be.

EDIT:

What's the diff between ordering these and ordering a set from Trijicon? Isn't it the same nuclear material, in the same qty? I don't know how anyone could get in trouble

It has something to do with the tritium vials you get from Trijicon being installed into something ... such a a rifle sight. You can't apparently sell UNinstalled vials in the US. I'm unaware of any law which says you can't buy them from abroad though.

Typical .gov BS. No one knows what the real deal is ... least of all any self appointed ARFCOM lawyers ... who are welcome to post statutes if I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 1/12/2008 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
How do you install the new vials without breaking them?  I broke my old ones getting them out with a straight pin.  I pushed, they went "crack!" then came out with the ends broken off.

My Century Yugo M70B1 from AIM has the vials in the rear and the paint "pot" front.  Another poster before asked but no one answered - is there some place we can get the vial front flip-up?  I'd like all three to be vials, if possible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How do you install the new vials without breaking them?  

I don't know if I can link to the archives. Let me try.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=92307

My Century Yugo M70B1 from AIM has the vials in the rear and the paint "pot" front.  Another poster before asked but no one answered - is there some place we can get the vial front flip-up?

I'm not real sure on that. You might want to post that question in a thread of it's own.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My Century Yugo M70B1 from AIM has the vials in the rear and the paint "pot" front.  Another poster before asked but no one answered - is there some place we can get the vial front flip-up?  I'd like all three to be vials, if possible.

Well, Centerfire Systems has them for $20 for the whole front sight assembly.  Their picture shows an undrilled paint type like I have.  I called and asked, and the lady I spoke with asked a guy named "Ed" in the background who said "they take tritium."  He also said something about "phoshorus paint" that I heard and she didn't repeat to me.  Now, I'm confused.  I can't tell if they are the drilled kind for tritium or the paint kind, and I'd hate to order one and get another paint one.  They say tritium, but their site shows no hole (paint).

ETA: I called back and Donna actually pulled one for me from the shelf and described it to me.  No hole - it's the paint kind like I have.  Crap.  Excellent service from Centerfire (if you call), though!    I went ahead and ordered a bunch of accessories to pay them back for the help.  

If anyone gets a line on the tritium-style flip-up front sights, please let me know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Are there other sizes availible? Maybe you could just drill the holes a little larger?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Are there other sizes availible? Maybe you could just drill the holes a little larger?

You mean to fit different-sized vials?  The right ones are available at a link earlier in this thread (or are available as of late last week).

I just wish I could drill this painted sight for vials.  There's no way I could do that with my cheap drill press and no real AK sight tools.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I found a night sight front sight post.  But not another flip up sight for our Yugos.  I have the mixed up sights.  So I think I am going to swap out the front sight post for one of those night sight posts.  And then just repaint my flip up site.  BTW, anybody know how hard it is to remove the flip up front sight?  Is it worth even trying?
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I found a night sight front sight post.  But not another flip up sight for our Yugos.  I have the mixed up sights.  So I think I am going to swap out the front sight post for one of those night sight posts.  And then just repaint my flip up site.  BTW, anybody know how hard it is to remove the flip up front sight?  Is it worth even trying?

I have swapped out the flip sights.
Just have to knock out the pin holding the flip sight in place with a pin punch.
Not too hard to do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered 3 vials.  One is an extra just in case.  I have the tritium rear and paint front but I am going to buy the tritium post front from Midway tonight.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
bump
Link Posted: 2/1/2008 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I ordered (3) of them for $6 each a while back.  I filled the holes up with new bright green flourescent paint and then when that was dry I attached the vials over the dots with clear epoxy.  They're pretty bright.

Seems very tiny sized tritium vials are legal for importation if they are not over a certain size.  It's the huge glow rings and such that are in use abroad that are banned here.  Search the net and you can find large tritum lit things that we have never seen.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do you install the new vials without breaking them?  

I don't know if I can link to the archives. Let me try.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=89&t=92307

Dixiedawg,

The link to the archives didn't work (maybe I just have to get that paid membership!

What did you do to keep the vials in place after you installed them?

My M70B1 kit has the tritium front & rear, my underfolder from Century has the painted style.

Anybody know where to get the paint?

--Otter
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If someone who uses paypal can order me three vials, I would pay them back and add $5 for their time and trouble.  ...NEVER MIND......
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#41]
At the risk of appearing self-serving, this thread has some good information that should be kept current.
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey guys, look around this site here called "Candlepower" in the marketplace.  That's where I found mine for $3 each.  I contacted the NRC about them but was told the FDA handles that in Texas.  I figure if the head of the NRC doesn't care, why persue it.  Seems there are two types of Tritium gas, one is worse on a body than the other one.  But the biggy is the size of the vials.  Tiny ones like we use are really no problem.  Trijicon probably gets them from overseas too.  The night sight companies just like to keep the vials a mystery even though the vials themselves are dirt cheap.  Now the night sight companies probably do have to keep a license since they have so many in one location.  But the prices they charge for the night sights are ridiculous to me.  

Just IMO, no flames intended.

Candlepower forum

Link Posted: 2/17/2008 4:30:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Just ordered three and it cost $30 plus shipping, so cost has gone up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I am trying the Candle Power forum...we'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2008 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Find a guy named Merkava, he is the one selling the 1.5 X 6mm.  I used my paypal and the items were shipped that day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#47]
bump to keep alive
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Merkava is AWESOME. I sent him 63.00 via paypal and he shipped via airmail 6 perfect, glowing green tubes. They were packaged very well and arrived all the way from singapore to Ohio in 6 days. he
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Any tips on installing them?  Mine came in while I have been away on a trip and I am getting back home tomorrow, one of the first things I have to do is put them in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Here is Merkavas thread.

BTW it is free to become a member at candle power forums and gets you advanced search features

www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170374
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top