Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 2:28:20 PM EDT
just got a beautiful MAK-90 rifle from a friend(fellow arfcommer) it has the circle386 manufacture code on the trunnion, it is a slant cut receiver impoted by I D E MCLEAN VA  ? can't find any info on this gun. it has a 5 digit serial # that starts with a 2. anyone have any info on the importer or year imported. I have already been to every Chinese ID sight that I know of and there is no mention of that importer.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
386 is the PolyTech factory. Imported up untill 94 I believe before import ban. PolyTech is the premier AK factory in China. home.midsouth.rr.com/boboland/ChinaMain.htm

Above link will have info on your gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
still didn't find anythingon this importer or on that link. heres some pics...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Your rifle started it life as a fixed underfolder bayonet stamped AK 7.62.  It was caught in customs after the ban on its way into the country.  It had to be deevilified before it could be released so hence you have what you have.  Factory 386 is Polytech.  Kengs was the importer of Polys.  Kengs had to fight a court battel in order to have them released from customs which happend in 1994.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There was an importer out of VA, but they were in Virginia Beach, Va D.I.G. can't find that one yet.
It is a rare find. The only poly's post ban I have seen had AKS 47 stamped on them with sp for sporting rifle. Yours has Norinco stamped on from factory 386. The importer I think was a group of lawyers they may have sold out but not sure. Anyways very interesting find you got.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen, didn't both Polytech and Norinco both use factory 386 for production?  I believe they did.  The factorys 386 and 416 are not "exclusive" to either Polytech or Norinco I thought.  For example, Norinco produced their 75 round drums out of factory 386 as well as some rifles, and Polytech as well produced rifles from the same factory as well.

Weren't Polytech and Norinco basically just "brothers" sharing the same house?

From what I understand, the rifle pictured is a Norinco factory 386 that was neutered before it made it in-country.  Oter than that I don't know about the importer or anything.

Either way, Nice rifle GW!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#7]
If you haven't found out any more info on it you might post it on Guns Network LLC forums
under Norinco. There is a Gentelman over there that is very knowledgeable on Chinese. If he sees your post he'll chime in.

I thought that all the factories in China are government owned and Norinco & Poly tech are just
exportation companies so anything could be made at any factory. But certain factories were known
for different weapons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I thought that all the factories in China are government owned and Norinco & Poly tech are just
exportation companies so anything could be made at any factory. But certain factories were known
for different weapons.

That's what I thought, too.  That's what I meant by two brothers in the same house.

GW - We'll figure this one out...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all your help guys.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
yea saying that  factory 386 only made ak's for polytech is just false.....I have a milled norinco that was produced at factory 386
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I also have a Norinco Mak-90 Milled made at factory 386
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
No I think what has been said is that factory 386 is he only factory that made milled receivers
whether it was poly or norinco for commercial sales. I have seen no other factory stamp on any chinese milled receiver other than factory 386 for commerical sale.  I have seen milled chinese
captured ak's with chinese writing and stamped with 66. These were military weapons not for commercial sales.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top