Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2003 1:10:43 AM EDT
I know many folks give their favorite weapons a name. Usually a name most commonly used in reference to the fairer sex, although this is a rule not chiseled in stone. (My father has a 6 inch stainless Ruger Vaquero in .357 Mag he named "White Eyes"...never even asked him why, but when he passes I get to fight my little brother for it).
Until recently, I had not named any of my firearms because none of my arms have really displayed any individual characteristics warranting a name.
This changed just the other day.
While I usually use ear plugs while shooting, the last trip I had forgotten to pack any, so it was the Muffs that I usually have in the trunk (for those goofballs that think that their hearing is bullet-proof),for me.
While shooting my pet AK, I noticed this weird harmonic ringing in my right ear. At first I thought that I had not gotten a good seal with the muffs. Then I realized that it was the vibrations of the AK's springs being transfered through the stock to the shell of my muffs!
So, seeing as my rifle likes to sing to me, and likes to suck the life out of my wallet to keep itself fed, I have dubbed it "Siren".
Interested in the names you guys have given any of your firearms and why you named them what you have.
_______

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a deer hunting partner who had a custom build Remington 700 chambered in .308 Norma Magnum, that I used to hunt with in South Texas.  He always referred to that rifle as "The Bitch".  I'm not sure why, and like you, I never asked.

I usually refer to my guns by their models or calibers, ie. "My 7 Mag", or "My AK", etc..
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure he named it the bitch because of the recoil that baby laid down.  Just a guess though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Contrary to popular belief, the .308 Norma Mag didn't recoil near as bad as my .300 Win Mag.  He had it barreled with a heavy Shilen barrel, and the ugliest piece of lumber that you have ever laid eyes on.  I never could convince him to go the HS Precision route.  It was definately not a "walkin around" gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#5]
if your 300 win mag kicks real hard, you should purchase a muzzle break from Armalite.  I own one of their AR-30's in that same caliber and that muzzle break makes it kick less than my 308.  check them out on the internet or their catalog.

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate muzzle brakes on bolt action rifles more than I hate Bill Clinton.  I have guided hunters with muzzle brakes for too many years, and am partially deaf in my right ear because of it.  I don't necessarily enjoy being pelted by my .300 Mag, but I'll easily tolerate a little "love tap" on the shoulder over having the rest of my hearing deteriorated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My SAR-1 is "Svetlana"...
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
SVETLANA! LOL!  Well named, NRAJOE!
For a Romanian rifle-- the name fits.
A "thank you" to those who have shared the names of their firearms with the rest of the group instead of helping the thread-pirates turn this into a muzzle break debate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Got a Chinese pre-ban last weekend...that ones "Ling-ling"
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I will make this as short as possible

my 6 year old daughter likes my guns, thats cool with me

she has asked me what kind of "gun" this one is?

I tell her, "you name it"

our little game has progressed into the collection I call mine, she can and without warning give out all the names to all the weapons..........not the manufacturer or model, but HER given name

lets see, I have a bob, fred, henry, wilbur, charlie, spot, thunder, buster.....and so on.....

kids......the best part is making 'em

Gary
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The only one that has a "name" is my CETME. The first time I shot I had a friend I shoot with alot with me. He was right next to me when I fired it. "Damn, That thing sounds like a cannon."  It's now known as "The Cannon".

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top