BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:04:12 PM EDT
heres what i have done so far i dare not do anymore
till the can gets here from nashnash
the folder is just sitting on it (for now)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Very very Nice!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't ya just love em??? and the bolt hold open mags and selector lever, a real cool shooter.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
very nice........but why not go the SBR route?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
if it was free i would :)
im gonna sbr my other krink
and that gets spendy lol
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
i refinished the wood
and am refinishing the rifle right now

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
shes done well almost
i know she has no fcg but i dont have 1 for her yet
the can is from rick miller (nashnash) talk about on the ball i orderd it on monday eve
he made it shipped and i had it at my door on wed
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What method did you use to attach the fake can permanently to the barrel?

The wood looks great, what did you use to refinish it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]
i pined it on
its the easyest way i know of
just goto the store and get yourself a 1/8 by 1/2 pin
drill threw the can and fsb till it breaks threw with 1/8 bit  (theres about 1/8 in between the barrel and fsb over threads)
take your pin stick it into a vise heat it up red and beat it with a hammer till it bolsters on 1 end then just drive it into the hole you drilled
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#9]
are you sure that is legal?  I know that AR flash hiders that are going to be pinned cannot just be pinned but also have to be welded and heating with a blowtorch and deforming the metal isn't considered welding.  The lowest temperature method is by silver soldering the flash supressor on and that's 1000 degrees or so...

If you can UNDO what you consider pinning with a simple cordless drill or dremel tool, it's not permanent enough.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree, I don't think you are legal there dude. I think you were illegal ever since you mounted that receiver on a barreled trunnion since you didn't have the can perm. mounted. I don't really understand how you have it pinned, but pin should have to be drilled out to be legal. I think they call it blind pinned. Or you could silver solder it or you might even have to do both.

Just wondering why you didn't form 1 it. For what you have in the can and 922 parts, you could have well over half of the excise tax paid for and it's wouldn't be drilled all to crap.

Good luck with it. You might want to delete this thread.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Socandyman has got it right.  That's how my ban bushmaster came, remember those.  They pinned the y comp and filed it down.  I took my dremel and got the pin out.   Lot of people did this especially since mine was with the threaded 14.5 barrel.  I screwed up the barrel but that's because I'm stupid and another story.  My 9mm barrel from Oly came that way.  If the big manufactors are doing this then I guess they are all in trouble?

Check out the ATF.  2 permanent ways approved from them.  Silver solder or blind pin.   It doesn't have to be both.  You can always weld as you mentioned and make it more permanent.  MAPP torch or dremel will get it off whether you silver solder or blind pin.

trvo, if you read his post he didn't install the underfolder until he had the can.  It was for pics.  Technically he had a pistol up to that point.   You guys got to relax.  Good that you are interested in legality but you need to know the rules a little better before you come with harsh advice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm with Lakemoor, RELAX...., his blind pin method is fine.  The build looks great by the way...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, fine.  But, how is it a blind pin when he knows exactly where it is and can use a drill for 2 seconds to remove it?  MAPP torches and 2 minutes of chopping and grinding with a dremel are enough to de-ban any rifle.  Since any rifle can be SBR'd illegally with a hacksaw by hand, that has no relevance.  It's VERY VERY VERY easy to make one illegally using a hacksaw, a dremel, a drill, a torch etc., but it's still illegal.  Even more illegal and STUPID is trying to build one from scratch thinking that it's okay to install a small pin.  

With Bushmaster- they covered their butts by BLIND pinning the brakes on.  You had to SEARCH for the pin, even though it didn't take much time, and then grind it out.  Pinning it yourself and keeping it after the build is not "BLIND" in any way.  

I'm not going to say no more but I would REALLY suggest finding out for sure.  I don't have to prove anything.  I'm not the one walking a thin line.  

You guys sure as hell aren't as responsible as the AR15 side of the board, that's for sure.  

ETA: that was a receiver the minute it was folded or riveted and it was unregistered as an SBR whether the stock was installed or "sitting" where it will be attached later.  You can't prove from those  photos that that receiver has not been cut to accept that stock yet.  Innocent until proven guilty doesn't work with weapons like these today...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
ORF blind pins theirs by screwing on the fake can marking the spot where the plunger in the FSB is, removing the fake can drilling a hole in the back where the plunger would hit. Then screwing it all back on and hammering in a roll pin threw the plunger hole in the FSB in the hole you drilled in the can. One can easily see the pin but not easily remove it. By blind pin they mean a pin that is in a hole the bottoms out not a pin you cant see.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#15]
so a pin that only has one exit, that exit being the one it went into so that it cannot be drifted out with a punch?

The AR guys go overboard by using a shorter pin and then welding over the hole, grinding down any extra bump and then refinishing, huh?

I guess whatever floats your boat as long as the ATF agent assigned to YOUR case, if it ever should happen, follows the bare minimum guidelines and doesn't get picky.  God forbid his wife is a bitch or his kids are failures.  - Just like any IRS agent that audits you I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not gonna get into telling everybody what I feel the ATF would say about any particular method of blind pinning, but I think it's a foolish notion to say that the location of the pin must be a secret or whatever JosephR was implying.

HOWEVER, trvo has a point;  By the time you get finished buying the can and all the 922 parts, you're almost = with just SBR'ing it.  Makes me reconsider what I'm gonna do with my krink kits.

Finally,  maybe you AR guys should lighten up; go back to your side of the board and see how much more crap you can put on your rifles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
You know how good ADCO's rep is on the AR side.  Steve does it the same way.  I have a 4.5" FS  that was blind pinned by them.  I guess they are in the wrong as well.  

WA does not allow SBR so he had to go w/ the fake can.  

Can't we all get along.  That's why I liked the AK side better.  Less bickering
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
When ADCO blind pinned the FS, was there a weld placed over it?

It's not so much that it is a secret...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
heres what i have done so far i dare not do anymore
till the can gets here from nashnash
the folder is just sitting on it (for now)

home.comcast.net/~socandyman/m92-1.JPG

home.comcast.net/~socandyman/m92-2.JPG

home.comcast.net/~socandyman/m92f1.JPG

home.comcast.net/~socandyman/m92f2.JPG

Socandyman...you never cease to amaze me...really nice job!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#20]
JosephR,

ADCO does not weld over.  They just blind pin, grind and touch up with some paint.  Nice job.  I think we've killed this subject.  Let's just say great build and not talk about pins, welds or silver solder.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top