Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:16:45 AM EDT
i'm trying to use one of those l1a1 flash hiders i got off of tapco for a buck, i saw that someone had done the same over on gunco. looked sweet and it was something different. i'm a sucker for trying new things. anyway.

i went to lowes / home depot and couldn't find a nut to use on the barrel. i'm having a hard time finding thin enough threads. i've found some with much larger threads but i'm not looking to cross thread my barrell and mess it up. any other ideas where i can get a nut with the right threads to weld to the L1A1 FH to for a romy kit?

second question, to weld the nut on, do i need to break out a torch, or would some JB weld be good enough. since it doesn't seem like much stress will be on it i'm guessing that jb weld may do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
It's 14x1LEFT HANDED <-ETA. metric, I doubt you'll find it anywhere. I sujjest cutting the end of your old muzzle device off (or buy a new one for $10 if you want to save the original) weld the threaded part from that onto the L1A1 device. See what I'm saying?
No, JB weld isn't going to work for this, well, it MAY work, but if you have a torch why use it? I've heard of people getting hurt when a fake can fell off the end of a MAC10 one time, so I'd want it fusion welded if it was mine.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i dont have a welder, in retrospect my question does sound like it, but i dont. i'm trying to avoid having to go and make a new friend/pay someone/whatever else if at all possible, thats why i'm trying to figure out if JB weld will work. i may give it a shot anyway just because. i bought a couple of the FH's for a dollar a peice, i figured, why not. good project, give me room to toy around and try other stuff with them. was hoping i could save a buck or two from buying JB weld though..

as for the nut, that seems like a lot of work. i mean , there has to be some place that has a 14x1 threaded nut..
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to a fastener shop (nut and bolt supplier) I'm sure they'll have it, or if you have a tap and die set go that route, either thread the inside of the suppressor if thats possible, or get some solid rod the same diameter of the suppressor or slightly larger in diameter. Cut off a small piece, drill and and tap a hole, then take it to any welding shop or muffler shop and have them weld it, tell them what its for and i'm sure they'll be happy to do it for you, most mechanics are gun friendly. If you cant find a welder to do it, send it to me and i'll tack it together for ya free of charge. McM  Heres my baby
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for that offer, hopefully i wont need it. we'll see.

i'll give a look around town and see what i can find. got 4 fastener shops in town, i'll hit them up on thursday and see what i can find. thats exactly what i was hoping someone would tell me, somewhere to go. thanks again for the bump in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My solution
get one of the old tapco extensions designed for the AMD 65 already had right internal threads than get a long bolt and nut tht just fits inside the L1A1 flash hider and the extension thighten them together to insure porper alinment
Now weld together or you try som Jb but I prefer weld
remove bolt and you are good to go
If you orient it right the L1A1 bay fits on too

The FAL metric is mush easier as it already has right threads just cut the hider just below internal threads and it will threas right onto the AK
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top