Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2009 7:06:18 PM EST
Please forgive if this has been covered in a thread. I had no luck with the search function.

On another forum I was told that an AK when the buttstock was folded could be less than 26 inches when the barrel is 16 inches or more. Gun in question is a Mak-90 that I would like to put a hungarian AMD folding stock on. I have done the measurements and without a flash hider the guns would be less than 26 inches folded. My concern is that to add the AMD folding stock with its rear trunion I would half to spot weld the flash hider to make sure that length always is at least 26 inches.

Can anyone tell what the true facts are that apply to this case?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 9:02:50 PM EST
Are you in a state that requires this procedure?
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 10:49:54 PM EST
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/index.htm

According to chapter two it is an Or. A weapon made from a rifle with a barrel less than 16" or less than 26" OAL is under the NFA. My reading of this has always been if the rifle is less than 26" oal it's NFA, if the barrel is less than 16" it's NFA. Now, with it having a 16"+ barrel but being less than 26" OAL I would guess it falls under AOW and is only a $5 tax (last time I was curious about it anyway.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 3:05:58 AM EST
The OAL is measured with the stock open.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 4:24:42 AM EST
I am only concern with federal law since the gun is kept in florida, but I apparently will have to be aware of state laws if I travel with it.

What I am looking for is a federal reference to saying that the OAL is made with the stock extended.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:28:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By barnetmill:
I am only concern with federal law since the gun is kept in florida, but I apparently will have to be aware of state laws if I travel with it.

What I am looking for is a federal reference to saying that the OAL is made with the stock extended.

All UF AKs are less than 26" OAL with the stock folded.
AK UFs are available from licensed dealers without NFA paperwork.
AMDs with the folding stock are less than 26" OAL with the stock folded.
AMDs with the folding stock are available from licensed dealers without NFA paperwork.
Logically, either many licensed dealers and hundreds or thousands of buyers are federal felons OR the feds measure the OAL with the stock open.

Link Posted: 5/22/2009 7:15:03 AM EST
I was told something similar on another website, except they also mentioned a folding stock semiauto uzi that was less than 25 inches.

thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:23:08 PM EST
some STATES measure with the stock folded
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:20:47 PM EST
Under federal law, a rifle manufactured with an overall length of less than 26" is NFA legal, as long as the barrel is 16" or more. Is is not legal to modify a rifle to an overall length of less than 26".

Florida law is the same.

Measurement is always done with the stock folded and does not include removable muzzle devices.

ML
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:26:03 PM EST
Michigan measures in it's shortest possible configuration
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:36:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
The OAL is measured with the stock open.

This

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:42:27 AM EST
Originally Posted By Mushinto:
Under federal law, a rifle manufactured with an overall length of less than 26" is NFA legal, as long as the barrel is 16" or more. Is is not legal to modify a rifle to an overall length of less than 26".

Florida law is the same.

Measurement is always done with the stock folded and does not include removable muzzle devices.

ML

NO. Measurement is made with the stock open.
There is no difference under federal law between "manufacture" and "modification".

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:46:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 2:49:24 PM EST by Essayons]
Yep. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt Near the top.

"A short barreled rifle is a rifle (which is defined as a shoulder
fired, rifled bore firearm) with a barrel length of less than 16",
or an overall length of less than 26", or any weapon made from a
rifle falling into the same length parameters (like a pistol made
from a rifle). In measuring barrel length you do it from the
closed breech to the muzzle, see 27 CFR sec. 179.11. To measure
overall length do so along, "the distance between the extreme ends
of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of
the bore." 27 CFR sec. 179.11. On a folding stock weapon you
measure with the stock extended, provided the stock is not readily
detachable, and the weapon is meant to be fired from the shoulder
."

ETA - this is from an NFA FAQ. State or local law may differ.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:01:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/18/2009 2:12:26 AM EST by POLYTHENEPAM]
Originally Posted By Essayons:

ETA - this is from an NFA FAQ.

"On a folding stock weapon you measure with the stock EXTENDED..." (Emphasis supplied)
comprehending the words one types is the key to good posting.
Top Top