BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:28:17 AM EDT
i never found a place to shoot more than 100 yards
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I can hit a 55gal drum at 400 yds with my SLR-105.  Granted 5.45 is flatter shooting but I'm sure you could do it with a 7.62x39 AK as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
on average how much more does an ak74 cost? i payed $450 for a romanian ak47 right before y2k.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Arsenal SLR-105's are getting really hard to find because they are made at the Arsenal Factory in bulgaria and they have discontinued 5.45 AK's for a while.  If you can find one for a decent price get one.  Otherwise, there's always builds.  ORF has AKS-74 kits that are bulgarian in origin.  You could get one of them for less than $300, US parts and receiver, and pay for the build for around $600 or so total.  If you want to go cheap look for a SAR-2 or a WASR-2.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Changed and modified the sights......300yrds hits easier...on a ROMY parts kit build  
added a AK47/M16 front sight windage stud
www.riflestocks.com/AKAccessories.htm
www.gunblast.com/HiViz.htm
and I opened up the rear nothch a few thousands
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I was gonging the welding tanks at my lease with my new M70.  It's 400 yards away.  So that is roughly only barely half the width of a body or even less.  No shit guys, these suckers are some kind of accurate.  The Sun was messing with me the other day to where I had to use my left hand to shade the rear sight and  @ 50 yards I still got a 1 3/4" group using Wolf .  Century did well on these and the Yugo's know how to make a damn good AK! Get one while you can!

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
100 no problem. At 200 it gets alittle hit and miss. I wouldn't even try at 300. Ammo is to hard to get these days.... That is me shooting with any of my stamped AK's. This doesn't represent anyone else. Thats is also with Wolf FMJ ammo. WD
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i never found a place to shoot more than 100 yards

Around here you can shoot to the maximum range of anything you own.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 4 AK's, I can hit a man sized target at 200 just about every time with any of them.  None of them will do it reliably much past that.  All mine shoot, on average, 6" groups at 100 yards.  My Polish PMKMS might be closer to 4", but it's still not a sure thing at 300.  

How much Wolf ammo has to do with this I don't know.  My 20" AR will easily ring a foot square going every time at 500 yards with M193 (assuming I do my part), but with Wolf it's about 1 out of 5 from the same gun.  Not comparing AR's vs AK's here, but rather Wolf vs better ammo.  Is thier 7.62 as innacurate as their 5.56?  I've never shot anything besides Wolf in my AK's, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Personally, I find 6" at 100 to be acceptable accuracy for a standard AK.  It's just not supposed to be a tack driver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
is this with iron sights or with a red dot?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
[is this with iron sights or with a red dot?]

My targets and the welding tanks were with the iron sights.  M70 does not have a side mounted scope rail and I am so happy it doesn't.  I am an ole fart who handled AK's back when a scope mount on the side was a dream, I prefer the slab sided ones.  In my day the underfolders would not clear a magazine, much improvement since then in that area.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Give me enough rounds and sh!t  whats the range on one of them if ya arc it up there
?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I cracked a sporting clay mounted on a plywood backer on my 6th shot at 450yards with an Arsenal SLR101, iron sights.

Granted, the luck was on par with ted nugent's "goat at 700yards with a beretta 9mm", but at least i know i was in the area.  more than not, my shots hit the 2' x 4" plywood backer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure about a human, but awhile back, I was at the range with my Arsenal SAM-7A1R. My son noticed a coyote looking at us from what I thought was about 200 yards away.  I aimed a little high, and dropped him with the first shot.  I then used my Chevrolet rangefinder (Trip odometer) to determine the distance. Exactly one tenth clicked off as we arrived at the perforated carcass. 1/10th of a mile = 176 yards.  I was close!  I hit him in the neck, so it was definitely a luck shot.

What a stupid coyote.  He had to have  known that camo-wearing, big-gutted, long-haired, lard-assed beer-bellies are always shooting around there.  And he still hangs around.  That's why he got "naturally selected" by me!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I was slinging lead at 600 yesterday. I dont know what I was hitting that far with irons.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
At our gun range we have a "center-of-mass" target gong at 400 yards. I can hit it with every shot if my eyes are up to the task with my 7.62x39 SA M-7 R with irons. And I'm not really a good shot. I can do the same with my AK-74. I can't with any of my other AKs which are all 7.62 stamped guns. I haven't tried my Yugo UF yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#16]
As far away as I can see it - which isn't that far.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#17]
About 3-4 feet with bayonet affixed, maybe 25  feet with a good toss.

The ranges around here are ridiculously short, but 100 meters would be a piece of cake offhand, I would guess 300 meters if I was doing everything right and the target was unaware.

I'll have to get some of the scaled army targets and give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I know my Saiga conversions and romy G builds can hit clay pidegons at 100yards consistently
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Those of you who have the Military Channel may remember this. There was a special comparing the F86 to the Mig 15 and the M16 to the AK47. The AK was a milled receiver Russian AK with no muzzle device. During the slow motion, F/A firing session the AK was shaking like a fat bitch on a trampoline. The barrel was whipping causing the rounds to come out funny, but they stablized shortly after leaving the muzzle which can affect accuracy, to say the least....It was a revealing look at the violent cyclic action of the AK which is not conducive to accurate shooting. Next they did an accuracy test at 200 yards on an indoor range using slow, aimed semi-auto fire. Each weapon fired 5 shots and the AK hit the very lower left hand corner of the target, but just barely while the other four missed completely. This was a man sized, head/torso target in a well lit and controlled environment. There are alot of variables reguarding a weapons accuracy, but I

mentioned the above to give an indication of the average AK's performance. Notice I didn't mention how the M16 did as I don't want this thread to degenerate into another AR vs AK thread.
I don't know what kind of condition this AK was in, but it appeared to possibly be a battlefield pickup. IIRC, this test was conducted at Picatinny Arsenal and they maintain there weapons very well for testing purposes. I was very displeased with the AK's performance on this show. Watching the AK nearly shake itself apart during automatic fire and seeing the barrel whip and destabilize the bullets when they are exiting the barrel was dis-heartning.  I didn't expect it to group like the M16, but I did expect it to be able to make hits on the torso target. They ultimatly concluded both weapons were "equal".There testing doesn't accurately reflect my experience and but I have never owned a battlefield pickup/military issue AK, especially one that is 40 years old and has been used for violent automatic fire for its entire life. I brought an old 3 foot by 4 foot diswasher out to the 400 yard line and I was easily able to hit it repeatidly with my WASR GP shooting Silver Bear FMJ's. Groups weren't tight, but the diswasher was destroyed in short order. I save all my 20oz pop bottles to fill them with water to shoot at. I am able to hit these at 200 yards with my Yugo AK. Any decent AK should be able to hit a man sized target at ranges up to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
yes a plain old run of the mill ak 3'' or 4" at 100 yards is normal. a nice milled ak 2'' at 100 yards usa made job. A VERP K with good ammo 1'' 2'' groups at 100 . I would think 200 yards on a normal ak at a man size target. 300 400 yards for a verp K  with some glass on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#21]
325 yds with a SKS, scope and bipod, thats how far it was they said but not possitive. Was shooting at ballons and seem to do OK.

The only real problem was the wind was blowing the ballon back and forth.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top