Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/29/2004 9:38:48 AM EST
What is the standard length of a "Warsaw" buttstock? "Nato" length?

I'm curious how long they are and how much of a difference there is between them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:01:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:17:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:27:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Templar:
RS39 has it about right. Think of the difference in length between a M16A1 buttstock and the A2 length.

As a rule of thumb, if you're over 5'10", you'll probably really appreciate the extra length on K-Var's US made "NATO" length stock.

I'm 6'2" and I can use the standard AK length, but much prefer the comfort of the longer stock.

I'm actually just barely under 5'10" and prefer the shorter stock.

I've found a decent thumbhole stock that's 13" from receiver to buttplate, and I'm wondering how that compares to the Warsaw length. I'm guessing that it's closer to the Nato length, if not longer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:00:59 PM EST
The standard AK stock has the same LOP as the M16/M16A1. The A2 stock is only 5/8" longer. The American AK stocks are about 1 1/2" longer. I think if you do most of your shooting from a bench, the longer stock will seem to fit better, but if you shoot from field positions or try to snap shoot the gun, you will regret having it on there. Its even worse if you have armor and/or web gear on, and just gets even more worse with winter clothing. I learned to shoot rifles on military type rifles, almost all of which are short stocked, compared to commercial guns, especially the newer ones. Once you become accustomed to the shorter stocked guns, the longer stocks are very annoying, especially on a hunting or combat type rifle, and tend not to shoulder right, especially when you try to do it quickly. I usually end up cutting down and/or removing the recoil pads because the commercial stocks are to long. I think the AK just appears to be to short, especially when your looking at the stock itself and not taking in the overall LOP. If you compare it to most of the other combat type rifles out there, including most of the bolt guns, I think you'll find that they are all really about the same and your just psyching yourself out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:48:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 3:49:33 PM EST by Templar]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:36:24 PM EST
Fair enough answers.

I think I'll swing by a gun shop tomorrow and handle some of the AK's to see what length fits me best. I was looking at the thumbhole stock because it would be a good deal. The thumbhole design doesn't bother me like I know it does some other people.

However, since I don't have the money to buy a lot of guns or customize at whim, I better know for sure what I want before I buy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:47:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By AK103K:
The standard AK stock has the same LOP as the M16/M16A1. The A2 stock is only 5/8" longer. The American AK stocks are about 1 1/2" longer. I think if you do most of your shooting from a bench, the longer stock will seem to fit better, but if you shoot from field positions or try to snap shoot the gun, you will regret having it on there. Its even worse if you have armor and/or web gear on, and just gets even more worse with winter clothing. I learned to shoot rifles on military type rifles, almost all of which are short stocked, compared to commercial guns, especially the newer ones. Once you become accustomed to the shorter stocked guns, the longer stocks are very annoying, especially on a hunting or combat type rifle, and tend not to shoulder right, especially when you try to do it quickly. I usually end up cutting down and/or removing the recoil pads because the commercial stocks are to long. I think the AK just appears to be to short, especially when your looking at the stock itself and not taking in the overall LOP. If you compare it to most of the other combat type rifles out there, including most of the bolt guns, I think you'll find that they are all really about the same and your just psyching yourself out.

+1

I've never been in the service, but at 6'0" I like the shorter stock. I do quite a bit of winter shooting and having thick layers of clothing + a longer stock is a bad combination.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:06:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:35:26 AM EST
I'm 5'9" and prefer the NATO. I shot a 3 gun match Sunday with my 74 and did better than most of the ARs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:55:25 AM EST
Can someone please put a tape measure to their Warsaw Pact stock and tell us what the length is?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:51:39 AM EST
Measured from the center of the stock at the butt plate to the receiver, its 9 1/4". From the toe along the bottom of the stock its 9 1/2". Thats the actual length of the stock itself. The LOP is 13", measured from the bottom. For comparison, the LOP on a Colt SP1 with the A1 stock is 12 3/4" and 13 1/2" for an A2 stock measured from the same point(as the AK) on the stock. The A1 is 9 7/8" from the center of the stock to the bottom of the receiver and the A2 is 10 1/2".
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:15:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 9:23:16 AM EST by TXN]
Thanks!!

So, is LOP from the center of the grip to the butt of the stock?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:06:00 AM EST
Thanks for the length report. Nine inches! Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:10:59 PM EST
TXN,
I measure it from the butt plate to the trigger. Not sure if thats the offical way, but thats how I've always compared them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:38:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By obershutze916:
I am 5'4" and I prefer the NATO stock.

Ain't that funny? I'm over 6 feet tall and I prefer the warsaw pact length. It just feels more 'natural' that way.

My one biggest complaint with folding stocks now is that no polymer stocks are available in original length.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:39:57 PM EST
Top Top