Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2004 10:34:08 PM EDT
if you buy a reciever (obviously transferred thru an FFL) and then send a kit and teh reciever to a gunsmith like ORF or AK USA or whatever... when it ships back to you does it have to go thru a FFL again?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

You can ship it to have work done on it, and not have to go through an FFL.
You already got the receiver through the FFL.  Now if ORF supplied the receiver and
you supplied the kit to them, then you need and FFL to do the transfer for the gun
when it is returned to you.

Ship it FEDEX!!   UPS sucks....Don't even get me started on them...
Ship it away to ORF!!   They will do a great job on it!!

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to FEDEX to send some Bulgarian AK-74 parts to a board member today and wanted to insure it and was asked by the guy behind the counter what I was shipping.  I told him a gun barrel.  He then said he couldn't ship it unless I was a dealer.  I told him there was not a gun in the box, just a bunch of spare parts.  He then stated he would have to check with someone.  I then responded that it was just a bunch of scrap machine parts.  He said OK I can ship that.  

After all that he told me the address I had belong to a bunch of different businesses and he needed a suite number. Great, 40 some miles roundtrip for nothing.  Had to go home and email the buyer for his home address.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I went to FEDEX to send some Bulgarian AK-74 parts to a board member today and wanted to insure it and was asked by the guy behind the counter what I was shipping.  I told him a gun barrel.  He then said he couldn't ship it unless I was a dealer.  I told him there was not a gun in the box, just a bunch of spare parts.  He then stated he would have to check with someone.  I then responded that it was just a bunch of scrap machine parts.  He said OK I can ship that.  

After all that he told me the address I had belong to a bunch of different businesses and he needed a suite number. Great, 40 some miles roundtrip for nothing.  Had to go home and email the buyer for his home address.  

yea.... machine parts is always a good answer, and its the truth when you're shipping parts, thats all it is.

but what about when the full rifle is shipped back to you? that can go direct to you, it doesnt have to go thru a dealer? (assmuming the reciever was previously purchased thru a dealer and not thru the gunsmith building it)
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

He was full of shit even if you were sending a rifle. As long as the guy on the other end has a FFL, you can ship a firearm through Fedex.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
So I can send a gun off to be worked on and have it sent back to me at my house?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Parts I am sending are being sold to the person. No receiver.  I mean K-VAR UPSed it to me.  These guys all think they know the law.  I've had barrels sent to me numerous times.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
YES!  You can send a gun off to be worked on, and have it shipped directly back to you.

No FFL is needed, as long as it is your personal gun being shipped back to you after the
work is done on the gun.

I am amazed at the stupidity of the people at UPS and FEDX sometimes...

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
and since a reciever is technically considered a gun, and legally treated as such, once you purchase one thru the FFL, it can be sent out and built
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Kyarguy, thanks for the info.  I have a C&R and can get those at home.  I've also sold guns and shipped to them an FFL without me having one.  But I thought to receive a non C&R gun at my house (even one I owned and sent from my house) I needed an FFL.  It made no sense to me since I obviously already owned the gun.  But I figured the govt. never makes sense so it would make perfect sense that they wouldn't allow that.  I've had a couple of guns that I thought of having professionally modified or worked on but didn't want to mess with an FFL.  This info is very useful.  Thanks alot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]

YES! You can send a gun off to be worked on, and have it shipped directly back to you.

No FFL is needed, as long as it is your personal gun being shipped back to you after the
work is done on the gun.

I am amazed at the stupidity of the people at UPS and FEDX sometimes...

KyARGuy

Agreed, we send them back to people every day, in gun cases. It is kind of obvious what's inside.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#11]
From the horse's mouth.
www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top