Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 7:04:01 AM EDT
i pressed out my barrel today and noticed that it was chewed up, it looks like it was from the barrel being pressed in, and not when i pressed it out, due to the way the metal is pushed, you can see it in the pics, any ways doesnt look like it will have any serious impact besides just being ugly. but what do you guys think?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Ewwwwww.... us in the tool & die industry call that galling. You've got it really, really bad. I've never built an AK and don't know enough to comment on weather or not it will hurt anything, but clean that up and lube it with some Lubriplate or something before you go to press it back in.

Chances are, it was pressed in by machine originally and there was a bur on the trunnion. You'd be amazed at the amount of damage a tiny little burr or shard of metal can do when it has no place to go.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was shooting good before you took it out, then smooth it and put it back.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#4]
It happened when you pressed it out. Use a belt sander to dress up the part that would be seen on the chamber side. It will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#5]
there was definetly a burr in there, i took care of that, and will continue with the build, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Not enough KY jelly?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
To help prevent that I started using anti-sieze once the pin is out and it's almost always not left a mark. I think it is usually from the sharp edge from when they drill the barrel pin. Just a td of A.S. on a q-tip in the hole and all is good. Be sure to use it when you install the barrel.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll give you 50$ bucks, tops.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If just that one area at the chamber face is 'deep', then I'd smooth the rough parts a bit to minimize dirt/rust trapping and go on with the build.

I slept at home last night, not HI Express.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top