Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2003 3:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2003 3:33:45 PM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:14:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:32:51 PM EDT
He should give us his SSN, so we could confirm he was born in 1998. Alas, he went back to 2036 before doing so.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:38:05 PM EDT
And you guys said the Pooh bear in the pic of my Valmet was scary!!!

Campy I think you need a vacation...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:20:02 PM EDT
If you were to travel back in time just one month, do you realize how many jillion miles the Earth and Sun and Milky ay have moved from that position?

You would be sucking vaccum buddy!

So tell me how to travel time again!?!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:13:33 PM EDT
A friend of mine told me about that guy.  While it's surely a hoax, I'll give him credit for his imagination.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:43:17 PM EDT
Ohh Baby!!
I can really use a time machine.  Imagine how much money you could make bringing old Milsurp's in like new, all matching, condition to collectors 100 years in the future.
Imagine what kind of collection you would have.  you could go back to the 60's when the US gov't was selling all those "old" WW2 milsurps at low low prices.  Or go back to 1986 and stock up on some nice new class III stuff, maybe go back to 1934 and really stock up on some soon to be banned toys.  How about 1989 and a few hundred Poly-techs, or Norinco's stashed in a warehouse.  That would also be a good time to stock up on some Fal and AR-15's.  Think how nice an all matching pre-war M1 Garand in like new condition would be to have.  Man that would be fun.  Yeap, I need a time machine.  Only one problem I can see, all the BATF paperwork that would accompany each trip.  Might not be worth the hassle!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:44:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:38:15 PM EDT
If civilization collapsed in 2015 and was just coming back in the 2030's why are they wasting time on time machines and corvettes? (those dates look weird with the past tense verbs, don't they?) time travel presents too many possible paradoxes. For example, say you failed an exam in school, you could go back and take the exam knowing the correct answers you would pass the test.  Once you passed the test, then there would be no reason to go back and re-take the test. As a result of not going back with the answers, you would fail the test and then have to time travel in order to pass it....
As you can see, this could go on and on in perpetuity. Therefore time can only practically travel in one direction, forward, and it's rate can only be varied according to Relativity.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:44:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By presto99:
If civilization collapsed in 2015 and was just coming back in the 2030's why are they wasting time on time machines and corvettes? (those dates look weird with the past tense verbs, don't they?) time travel presents too many possible paradoxes. For example, say you failed an exam in school, you could go back and take the exam knowing the correct answers you would pass the test.  Once you passed the test, then there would be no reason to go back and re-take the test. As a result of not going back with the answers, you would fail the test and then have to time travel in order to pass it....
As you can see, this could go on and on in perpetuity. Therefore time can only practically travel in one direction, forward, and it's rate can only be varied according to Relativity.

He explains this as infinite realaitles and you can't affect your own.

Still Campy, tell me how to time travel withoug compensating for spatial drift.  

Realitive to some point on the opposite side of the universe, you are proabally moving at near light speed.

He(Titor) mentioned modifying the time machine to be used for space travel but mentioned it hadn't been done yet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:56:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:20:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:36:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 3:48:58 PM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Shhh...Calm down Campy!

Here is your flying car.

www.moller.com

Ok, think about this.

1)  Military manuals do not list company I.E. General Electric on them
2) Military manuals have numbers on them like TM and FM-something.  The nomenclature looks screwy.

This hasn't changed since they stamped "War Dept" on them and I doubt it changes in another 33.

Also it is listed as "restricted"

My Grandmas cookbook could be classed "Restricted"

An time Machine would easily be "Top Secret"

Where are the pictures of the corvette?
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:45:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

Originally Posted By presto99:

He explains this as infinite realaitles and you can't affect your own.

Still Campy, tell me how to time travel withoug compensating for spatial drift.  

Realitive to some point on the opposite side of the universe, you are proabally moving at near light speed.

He(Titor) mentioned modifying the time machine to be used for space travel but mentioned it hadn't been done yet.

You ever watch the time machine?  Hi smachine traveled through time, appeared to be invisible to all, and they could not actually affect it, only "Major" things affected it, like the world getting seriously screwed, however, from his perspective the world was still passing, just incredibly fast, so he was still on earth, and as such was drug along as it traveled...

Makes better sense than the *poof* you are in another time aspect
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:48:27 PM EDT
Why would you be drug along.

Also notice in thet movie he should have been at a diffrent elevation in 800,000 years than when he started.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 3:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2003 3:54:16 PM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Another thing:

An Army Model would have an "M" or model designation, not "C".  A time machine could easily qualify for an "XM" or eXperimental Model designation.

Also:  Would not NASA or the Air Force be in charge of time travel.

The Army?!?  They couldn't get you paid on time some of the time!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:00:57 PM EDT

I know you guys have probably seen that before, its a classic!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:36:26 PM EDT
Campy, I just don't see pics of a 2036 Corvette...What I do see are pics of something that looks like a 80s something van...I just don't see this futuristic Chevy???
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:16:03 AM EDT
I don't believe it, but its great science fiction!

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:46:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 4:49:10 AM EDT by Sunset04]

If you were to travel back in time just one month, do you realize how many jillion miles the Earth and Sun and Milky Way have moved from that position?

Einstein's theory of relativity explained that there are no definitive "positions".  Objects can only be positioned in relation to eachother.

Still Campy, tell me how to time travel without compensating for spatial drift.

What would make the frame of reference for the machine be some arbitrary object in the universe as opposed to the earth?

Also, it's not as simple as left, right, up, down.  Time itself is a dimension of space.  

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:45:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:34:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 7:35:28 AM EDT by HeavyMetal]

What would make the frame of reference for the machine be some arbitrary object in the universe as opposed to the earth?

Assuming the Earth were traveling at a constant velocity in a straight line, it might not matter but it's not.

You are not only moving in time but in space, just in relation to the sun you are moving 65,000mph not to mention other objects.

If you went back in time one hour, you would have to go back 65,000 miles in an arc, not a straight line just in relation to the sun to be in the same position relative to the Earth.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:36:57 AM EDT
I wouls say the ultimate frame of reference for our motion would be defined as the point of origin of the big bang.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:45:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:49:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 7:49:48 AM EDT by HeavyMetal]

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
the 'big bang'?

you mean where i got my first piece of ass?

No, where I hit you over your mule head with that two by four!

www.moller.com

Now go play with your flying car!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:36:48 AM EDT

Assuming the Earth were traveling at a constant velocity in a straight line, it might not matter but it's not.

You are not only moving in time but in space, just in relation to the sun you are moving 65,000mph not to mention other objects.

If you went back in time one hour, you would have to go back 65,000 miles in an arc, not a straight line just in relation to the sun to be in the same position relative to the Earth.

So how come when I jump in the air, I don't fly sideways at 65,000 mph?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:43:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 8:44:21 AM EDT by HeavyMetal]
Because you are traveling at 65,000mph relative to the sun too as well as bound to Earths gravity.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 8:47:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:12:20 AM EDT
A different time is also a different place.  Believe it or not, everytime you get in your car and accelerate, you experience time dilation and are travelling into the future relative to the people standing still on the ground.  

The effect is very slight, however.  It gets exponentially larger the closer you get to the speed of light.  Somehow they've managed to measure the less amount of aging astronauts experience when travelling at 17,000 mph relative to the earth.  

Try reading this book on everything from quantum mechanics to relativity, and it's very easy to read.  It will blow your fucking mind.

Time travel isn't just a bunch of wacky sci-fi theories.  It's a reality.  Time travel to the future has been proven, however travelling to the past is based much more on theory.

This Titor guy seems to stick to all these theories.  I think he's at least a very good BS'er, and he knows his shit.  I would bet he's some sort of physics student or professor.  I'm not trying to convince you that he's the real deal, but open your mind and read up on the basics before you dismiss it as garbage.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 10:23:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:04:42 AM EDT
haha.  You'll still age at the same rate.  Just when you come back everyone else will be older.  But unless you're able to drive at near-light speed, the time dilation effect is astronomically small.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:37:14 AM EDT
Top Top