Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:52:45 PM EDT

www.tapco.com  

i'll take 3
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss having an SKS- and that one looks like it takes 30 round mags. Hey for an $89 rifle, then adding a $50 Tapco stock set, with some 30 round mags- you have one hell of a formitable weapon that is probably more accurate than an AK and just as deadly. Not everyone can afford the high end toys, they all start somewhere. My first semi-auto rifle was a Russian SKS which I added a sidefolder onto and bought tons of extra 30 rd magazines- wish I never sold the thing.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
we had a kid in our town that hand painted the transam eagle on the hood of his pontiac grand am.

that SKS is a close second of the most fucked up thing i have ever seen.

you have one hell of a formitable weapon that is probably more accurate than an AK and just as deadly

it's still WRONG in so many ways.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
FUGLY

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The SKS is what it is, a 10 round semi auto with a wood stock.   It makes a nice handout or reserve rifle.   It's the best $89 I've ever spent on a gun.    With that out of the way 99% of the accessories are complete crap.   Btw, I wouldnt put that stock on my SKS if you paid me to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not, looks like it would be fun to shoot, even with all the crapco stuff on it. An adjustable stock is kinda nice on an SKS. It would definitely be an option for a fun truck gun, you know it will go bang every time, I doubt the stock and stuff would change any of that. However it is funny to see an optic that is worth twice as much as the gun sitting on it. Then again take and AR with....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Instructions on how to be a douche:

1. Buy a perfectly good rifle like the SKS.

2. Buy overpriced, underperforming crap and cram it on what was once a good rifle.

3. Show it off like you actually think it is cool when it is really an abomination and belongs in the same category as the pig-man.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I miss having an SKS- and that one looks like it takes 30 round mags. Hey for an $89 rifle, then adding a $50 Tapco stock set, with some 30 round mags- you have one hell of a formitable weapon that is probably more accurate than an AK and just as deadly. Not everyone can afford the high end toys, they all start somewhere. My first semi-auto rifle was a Russian SKS which I added a sidefolder onto and bought tons of extra 30 rd magazines- wish I never sold the thing.  

Yeah but the minute you add the 30 round magazine you have a very formidable club - they rarely work correctly but that 30 round naner clip will give you something to hold onto while your wielding your SKS like a commie baseball bat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#10]
i like it, well everything except for the optics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The Sks is nose heavy as it comes from the factory, add that stock(plus the EOTech optic) and the lightweight buttstock and you can bet that thing will give you a workout trying to hold it up.  And if I'm not mistaken that stock retails for $84.95!  Basically your getting ripped off to make your rifle less effective.  The EOTech is the only thing that is cool about that set-up IMO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree that the SKS is best left alone, except maybe adding a scope if you're going to hunt with it.  The SKS is DIRT CHEAP, and so is the ammo, and it works fine for PLINKING, HUNTING AND HOME DEFENSE.  Totally reliable, tough, reasonably accurate and hard-hitting!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
we had a kid in our town that hand painted the transam eagle on the hood of his pontiac grand am.

that SKS is a close second of the most fucked up thing i have ever seen.

you have one hell of a formitable weapon that is probably more accurate than an AK and just as deadly

it's still WRONG in so many ways.

Agreed
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I can see why some people like the 30 rnd mags, and even a new stock.  But the SKS in the pick is just stupid.  What's the point?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#16]
That picture is a $50 saddle on a $5 horse if I've ever seen it....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#17]
SKS-15???
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Crapco at It's best!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
one word......922r

and with a Yugo SKS, compliance costs too much to make it look like that PIECE OF SHIT!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#20]
i really enjoy shooting my SKS, it is what it is. why junk it up. by the time you buy all the stuff to hang on it like in that picture you could have bought a better rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had 2 sks's (carbine and rifle) for over 10 yrs. and have fired them as much or more than any centerfire rifle I own.  They do not reflect the price I paid nor the disrespect they are often given.  They have been utterly reliable and accurate.  In short, I WUV my SKS's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
one word......922r

and with a Yugo SKS, compliance costs too much to make it look like that PIECE OF SHIT!

That's actually quite an interesting idea, the 922(r) compliance of such a stock.

I'd figure that the stock is worth 3 US-made pieces - buttstock, pistol grip and forearm.

How many 922(r) monitored parts does an SKS have?

ETA:  Looks like TAPCO is on the ball.  They offer a US-made 5-rd magazine (3 parts), a gas piston (1 part), an op-rod (1 part) and a US-made copy of the Yugo brake/grenade launcher (1 part).

Along with the 3 parts of the StupidStock(tm), that's 9 total.

Wheee!

So, you take a $100 rifle, spend easily over $100 on the stock and requisite compliance parts, and become the laughing stock of the gun world.

Does P.T. Barnum run TAPCO?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I can see why some people like the 30 rnd mags, and even a new stock.  But the SKS in the pick is just stupid.  What's the point?

+1, I like the plain old Fiberforce stocks, but the length of pull on them is a bit long for me.  The plain military wood stocks are just fine too, IMO.  Putting a 30 rounder on there makes sense, but other accessories are pretty much embroidery.  However, if you somehow managed to get a deal on a SKS Paratrooper variant (shorter barrel), it might make sense to set it up for CQB.  The SKS is actually a very good rifle considering it's a WWII-era design (prototypes were being made in '44 and '45 and saw limited use) and considering that it's dirt cheap and a semiauto.  Definitely a much better weapon overall than a Mosin-Nagant.  I do find it to be somewhat complicated when compared to the AK, though.  The bolt hold-open can be a PITA and I've always had trouble with the mag catch on SKS's that take highcaps because I am more used to the AK/HK flipper-type mag release.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]
We need to get TAPCO to make us some T6 stocks for M1 Garands.

Too many old M1 Garands have poor wood furniture, and need an upgrade to 21st Century Technology.

Haven't you always wanted an adjustable stock on your M1 Garand?  A pistol grip?  Lots of rails for the latest tactical accessories?

I think there's a market for it!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Too many old M1 Garands have poor wood furniture, and need an upgrade to 21st Century Technology.

Haven't you always wanted an adjustable stock on your M1 Garand?  A pistol grip?  Lots of rails for the latest tactical accessories?

*cringe* It'll look like a poor man's M14/M1A in a Sage stock
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TAPCO SOPMOD M1 Garand!

I swear to God, if they do this, I'm going to sue them for stealing my idea, then use the money to hire legbreakers named Vincenzo and Guido to cause them great physical harm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#28]
garand "banana clip" conversion?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
garand "banana clip" conversion?

They call that an M14 (or Beretta BM-59 ) LOL
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
You  guys can laugh all you want, but the Tapco T6 stock conversion really brought my Springfeild trapdoor into the 21st century.

Just kidding.

This is designed for the people out there who can't afford an AR-15 with all kinds of semi-useless crap piled onto it to buy and add to the SKS they either already have or can buy for cheap to create a totally SOPMOD tacti-kool rifle. Nothing more, nothing less. It's the closest they can get. It's no different than the losers you see driving around beat up Ford Festivas with retarded spinners on them.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You  guys can laugh all you want, but the Tapco T6 stock conversion really brought my Springfeild trapdoor into the 21st century.

Just kidding.

This is designed for the people out there who can't afford an AR-15 with all kinds of semi-useless crap piled onto it to buy and add to the SKS they either already have or can buy for cheap to create a totally SOPMOD tacti-kool rifle. Nothing more, nothing less. It's the closest they can get. It's no different than the losers you see driving around beat up Ford Festivas with retarded spinners on them.  

Well, if it was an SKS with a shortened barrel (the paratrooper version), I'd call it a poor-man's M4gery.  On the other hand, I think a M1 Carbine might be pretty neat if someone dressed it up a little bit, like gave it a more modern stock (but perhaps still in the same general shape as the GI stock, but made of black plastic).  I don't like the idea of putting 50 Weaver rails and a shitload of lights, scopes, lasers and red-dots on anything.  Please people, flashlight for nighttime, backup iron sights (if necessary to add them) and maybe a cheap red-dot (scopes are pointless on rifles like this) depending on the nature of your shooting and you're good to go.  Irons are still perfectly acceptable.  Lasers are BS range (plinking) toys (and that's even when they actually work).  The Tapco stock on that SKS is way too elaborate for the weapon that it is.  I say modernize it a little bit, but don't butcher or overcomplicate it.  They'd have their uses, considering that not all of us would be able to afford AR's to use for home/property defense rifles yet would still desire a military design as opposed to something more "civilian" such as a Mini-14.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
If I could get one setup like that for maybe $150 Id get it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TAPCO SOPMOD M1 Garand!

I swear to God, if they do this, I'm going to sue them for stealing my idea, then use the money to hire legbreakers named Vincenzo and Guido to cause them great physical harm.

I think Sage did come out with one for the M1 Rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Somebody awile back was going to come out with a .30 Carbine caliber bullpup. I don't know if it was a conversion for a M1 Carbine or a brand-new rifle......but I gotta admit, it did look very cool!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Somebody awile back was going to come out with a .30 Carbine caliber bullpup. I don't know if it was a conversion for a M1 Carbine or a brand-new rifle......but I gotta admit, it did look very cool!

I know the Israelis had a rifle once that was basically a modernized/modified M1 Carbine, but it was a complete failure.  Hmm, never heard of a bullpup conversion.  M1 Carbines have been converted to pistol calibers such as .357 Magnum and 10mm.  I think something similar to a Sage stock or maybe one of the cheap Fiberforce stocks would look nice on a M1 Carbine, one of those with the Sage would look like a baby M14.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a shooter grade Yugo SKS that I paid $89 for from AIM.   It's good to go as it sits, doesnt need any plastic stocks or anything else.   I'd field the rifle in it's stock configuration if I had to.  An SKS is a solid little rifle within it's limitations as it is.   It doesnt need a bunch of cut rate plastic crap.   Be proud of your SKS it's a good rifle.   Dont make it an embarrassing "mimi" rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I love plastic.  I much prefer polymer stocks over wood.  Black rules.

If someone would sell a bayonet-compatible polymer stock for the SKS that was the same form as the wood stock that came on it, I'd snag some in a heartbeat.

I love my SKS's, and they look great with the wood stocks, but the wood is pristine.  I'd feel so bad about dinging it up, even though these things are meant to be dragged around, thrown in the mud, etc.

Unfortunately, my only options for a black polymer stock for these things are the god-awful ATI stocks, this CRAPCO abomination, or, if you can actually find one, the stocks SKSMAN was selling, which don't allow for the bipod.

TAPCO obviously has some money to have R&D done, and have injection-molded polymer stocks and other components made.

It'd sure be nice if they'd make something simple and tasteful, like a decent SKS stock, or some regular AK furniture (to compete with K-Var), or some normal FAL furniture.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#38]
That's hot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I love plastic.  I much prefer polymer stocks over wood.  Black rules.

If someone would sell a bayonet-compatible polymer stock for the SKS that was the same form as the wood stock that came on it, I'd snag some in a heartbeat.

I love my SKS's, and they look great with the wood stocks, but the wood is pristine.  I'd feel so bad about dinging it up, even though these things are meant to be dragged around, thrown in the mud, etc.

Unfortunately, my only options for a black polymer stock for these things are the god-awful ATI stocks, this CRAPCO abomination, or, if you can actually find one, the stocks SKSMAN was selling, which don't allow for the bipod.

What about the ChiCom red fiberglass stocks + black paint?  My Sino-Soviet Type 56 wears one, though I've left it in the original fugly red/brown.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#40]
It will kill you just the same as, any of your high priced safe queens.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No safe queens here.

Everything gets shot.

If someone was to give me a rifle as ugly as this, however, it'd quickly become a safe queen, because I'm not going to let anyone know I own it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No safe queens here.

Everything gets shot.

If someone was to give me a rifle as ugly as this, however, it'd quickly become a safe queen, because I'm not going to let anyone know I own it.

I got to agree on that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]
is that Dark Earth?  *snicker*
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Actually, it's not that retarded. I have an SKS-D with a 16" barrel. The orginal wood stock has a recoil pad so it feels almost too long, and it feels too thick. I also have a folding style stock that's pinned open and it feels to long as well. My girlfriend won't even shoot it because the stock is too long.

It's be kind of nice to be able to change the stock length. I've always hated AR stocks on anything but AR's, but I really think it's a decent idea on the SKS for some reason, I guess because I love my SKS but I hate both of my stocks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#47]
If you think that is bad just wait till Tapco starts copying the SCAR stock.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#48]
ugh....maybe i should put that on my Russian.

thats just not right.

Duke i think you should stock them i have seen your customers, at least the locals, i think it would be a hit.  match that ones guys tiger strype cammo put on with krylon.

Ronald
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If you think that is bad just wait till Tapco starts copying the SCAR stock.

64.23.62.10/Firearms/TapcoSCAR.jpg

You should be set on fire and then banned.....and then set on fire again
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#50]
What are you guys talking about- Tapco only carries the World's Finest!!! I can waite till Buddy announces the joint venture with SIG this summer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top