Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:56 PM EDT
i want to learn how to build a AK47 from a pre cut+drilled flat reciever and parts kit, where do i get the info on doing so and putting it together?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:25:14 PM EDT
all the info is on this site you just gotta look

where are you at in OR ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT
Sadly no one is willing to create a detailed, comprehensive, butt-simple "How to build an AK" web page, and even if someone did, no one would want to host it for free (because of bandwidth costs).

I have web skills, and a legal copy of Windows 2003 Server. If someone was willing to pay the hosting fees, I would be willing to maintain and manage a "How to build it" web system for several weapons (AK-47 family, AR-15 family, Colt 1911 Auto family, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 1:51:06 PM EDT by plinkereye]
located in bend and thanks for the info, i guess ill go and build me a AK47 from the AGI video. IS it more complicated than building a Ar15? If so, Ill just buy a AK. I dont want to fork out money to buy big machinery tools that cost hundreds of dollars. I just want to learn how to heat treat and bend the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:09:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 2:12:06 PM EDT by mattman42]
How much money are we talkin' for the hosting?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:18:09 PM EDT
Plinkereye, go here.

It's what you asked for.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:05:27 AM EDT
+1 on Pookie's site, it is a great source of info.

Be sure to check out the library here also.
Build info
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:23:00 AM EDT
www.footpounds.com
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 1:02:52 PM EDT by Quarterbore]
I am working on it but as indicated above it is tough... I have about 300-500 photos that take up about 400MB of space and I am not done yet... (NOT EVEN CLOSE)... I hope to cut some of the images down in size and post basic instructions to one of my websites and then put all the images and instructions on a CD...

The real problem is that depending on the tools you have the process can be very different. now that I have my 12-ton press I am having a much easier time building then when I did my screw builds... so much so that I had originally planned to do one more screw build and document the screw build process but I don't see the value in doing so anymore.

I hope to work on my build more this weekend but so far what I have documented is cleaning up the kit (removing the barrel, removing all the rivets (trunions and trigger group) and bending the flat. I am now working to fit my trunions to the receiver so I can finally install rails and rivet things back together (trigger guard, front runion, rear trunion) and then press in the barrel and headspace, test fire and refinish.

By 2006 I may have something I can put on the web although I could try to find the time to add some of it in segments as opposed to trying to get it all done at once... I will try but taking photos and making sure the images are OK before I move on takes a lot of time so I never get as much done while trying to photograph and write down the tricks and tips... If I could video myself it might be easier and next build I may just try to set up a camera on a tripod and just build and forget about the digital camera.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:55:57 PM EDT
1/4
you need to change the format of your pics
i have 100 + on mine and its only 10 mb
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2005 2:04:35 PM EDT by Quarterbore]
Yea I know... it just takes time... I have a Cannon Digital Rebel and it takes really great pics but I need to go through and crop each one and change the JPEG compression settings in Adobe Photoshop. Like I said... it just takes a LOT of time if you want the images to look good...

Here are a couple pics I took last night while testing a new DPH jig:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=510&page=2&pp=10

The image of the jig and tools is cut down and resized while the images in the folder are the lowest resolution the camera will take... AND THEY MAKE A HIGHER RESOLUTION CAMERA NOW
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:38:44 AM EDT
I have never used Photoshop but I bet you everything in my (skinny) wallet that it will do a batch job of the resize-reformat-resave process. Of course, you still have to crop by hand, unless you are very careful to only include what you need in the original shot (hint-hint).

In my opinion, line drawings are more useful than real pics in most "how-to-build" documents. 3-D CAD renderings with overlayed info are also good.
Top Top