Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2005 3:27:27 PM EDT
bought this cool kit amd 65 like a year ago or more. 2nd receiver finally welded her up solid as a rock! holes all drilled proper. Then it happenes realized I went a tad too deep on the thin side of the front trunion yep started boring right into the chamber of the barrel. not deep say about 1/10th way through. Well then tapping mt taps strip the threads easier than the reciever threads so much for the harbor freight elcheapo tap n die set!! well basically the rifle now scares me it will be a scew build with a partially bored chamber. Got thinking ciener sells a 22 cal conversion bbl liner and kit includes clip and everything needed. wouldnt this be safe? even with my screwup on the chamber of the barrel? 22 doesnt really develop much pressure I believe. any ideas would be appreciated greatly and great forum you are all so well informed here sorry to be a pain in the ass
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Dejavu.

LOL!

As the others said on your other post, I don't think your gun will blow up. The barrel pin cuts into the barrel a lot more than you described
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
DUPE
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
1/10 of the way through the barrle? if you are sure that's all, I wouldn't worry.

and you can always tap the hole bigger.

I went up to a 8mm a couple times, fixing someone elses (drunk) build.

your talk bout welding is confusing however.

sounds like you may be better off making it a 22, if you are that worried about it, it's hard for me to say, without seeing exactly what you have done.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
when tapping, use the drill press and a big bit as a guide, clamp the trunion flat to the press, directly below the drill bit, put the tap between, and press it down witht he drill bit,  it's like a lathe, it will hold the tap verticle, and keep you from breaking teeth, stripping, canting, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
sorry to be confusing it was a laser cut 80% receiver bend then mig weld the seams , never welded berfore came out good but ugly. had lots of clean up (polishing) just bend and weld the cuts . heat treated it with mapp gas and bucket of water. the receiver seems very solid no issue there
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
when tapping, use the drill press and a big bit as a guide, clamp the trunion flat to the press, directly below the drill bit, put the tap between, and press it down witht he drill bit,  it's like a lathe, it will hold the tap verticle, and keep you from breaking teeth, stripping, canting, etc.

Why not just put the tap in the chuck of the drill press and turn it by hand?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
my hands aren't that strong... ?

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top