Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2005 8:22:30 AM EDT
ok big question,How do i and what can i use to heat the receiver and how when and what to quench it with.Can i use a torch or propain,Even dumber but figured id ask i couldnt use the kitchen stove or barbeque..What to do ..I going to try a flat and pre bent blank because i am totaly new at this and figured id try a couple different ways?Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all you have to heat treat are the hammer and trigger pin holes.  You want a water bath for quenching although some prefer an oil bath.  

Do one hole at a time by first heating the hole until it is red hot, then quench.  Do this for all 4 holes seperately.  Then buff the holes til you you can see the steel and there is no discoloration due to the heating.

Then the next step is to heat each hole (again seperately) until you just get a darkish blue color, then quench.  Repeat for each hole.

You will have 8 heating and quenchings when you done.  I would get a mapp gas torch as I think propane would take to long to heat the steel.  BTW, practice on some other steel of the same thickness before you do it on the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget the ejector
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
That is all there is to it???   Damn, I was all freaked out over nothing, good enuff and thanks for the info.  "G"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you really quench after second (blue) heating? I've been letting air-cool after the second heating for all my heat-treats, as that's how I was told to do it over at the Roderus board years ago. The theory I heard behind it was the quench makes it super hard (read brittle). Heating to blue then slower air cool slightly anneals (softens) things so it is less likely to shatter, but still retains some of the hardness gained from the first red-hot heat then quench.
Can some metallurgist clarify this (I know you're on here).

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
You need to get it hotter than "red hot" before doing your first quenching.  Here's som eeasy to use info:
www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts2/index.asp

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you really quench after second (blue) heating? I've been letting air-cool after the second heating for all my heat-treats, as that's how I was told to do it over at the Roderus board years ago. The theory I heard behind it was the quench makes it super hard (read brittle). Heating to blue then slower air cool slightly anneals (softens) things so it is less likely to shatter, but still retains some of the hardness gained from the first red-hot heat then quench.
Can some metallurgist clarify this (I know you're on here).

I thought the same thing as alpine18.  I'm going to be starting on flats soon so I try to read up on heat treating.  As a former Chem E I remember from my metallurgy class that annealing (makes ductile again vs being brittle) was completed and air cooled (2nd time around).  People that make medieval armor heat treat their works by quenching first time and air cooling the second time.  What do most people do?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top