Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 5:11:27 AM EST
I am refinishing the wood on my WASR-10. I was able to remove all the wood OK, but this morning when I tried to put it back on I had some problems. The wooden piece that is on the gas tube sounded like it was starting to crack as I twisted it back on. I backed it out, and just stood there helpless -- now it is just sitting on my workbench waiting for a resolution...

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:57:45 AM EST
Lubricate it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:07:21 AM EST
brilliant. What's that about the most obvious solution or something?

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:30:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By dmcantrell:
brilliant. What's that about the most obvious solution or something?

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:41:49 AM EST
I was referring to the old saying The most obvious solution is often overlooked or something along those lines. Thanks for the help I will try your suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:14:58 AM EST
i've taken a few different peices of wood off the upper handguard, good luck with it. i lubbed it up and just took my time. i did start to crack one of them so i just left it on there and refinished it there. that was on the wsar wood. worked out fine enough.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:18:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 9:19:36 AM EST by TheRealSundance]

I was referring to the old saying The most obvious solution is often overlooked or something along those lines. Thanks for the help I will try your suggestion.

Sorry. I read no shit sherlock into it.

you might also try sanding the ends.

also, sometimes the friction of the wood moving makes it sound like its cracking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:21:21 AM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
height=8

Sorry. I read no shit sherlock into it.

I haven't been around this forum long enough to develop that kind of attitude. height=8

you might also try sanding the ends.

also, sometimes the friction of the wood moving makes it sound like its cracking.

another good suggestion. I will try all of this tonight when I put it back together.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:38:58 AM EST
Metal retaining clip faces the rear of the gas tube. A couple years ago I was able to get one handguard on with the clip in the front. I wondered at the time why it was so difficult to get on!?!

Was switching out the wood the other day and noticed my error.

Try a little grease between the clip and the tube.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:53:01 AM EST
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:36:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By Draketh:
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it.

Words to live by.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:40:07 AM EST
Go ahead and crack it and then buy a properly made Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian "formed" laminated upper handgaurd.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:57:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Go ahead and crack it and then buy a properly made Polish, Russian, or Bulgarian "formed" laminated upper handgaurd.

i like that answer. the ones carved from 1 piece of wood are just too fragile.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:00:58 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By dixiedawg:
height=8
Originally Posted By Draketh:
I cracked the wood upper handguard in half on my WASR when I was putting polymer furniture on it. They're pretty flimsy and cheap unfortunately. Lube it up and just be gentle with it. h.gif

Words to live by.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:16:36 PM EST
Sho' Nuff.
Top Top