Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2004 11:36:33 AM EDT
I saw one today in a pawn shop for $250 and almost bought it . I thuoght I would post a few questions see if anyone could help me decide . It will be my 1st ak-clone .

1. what am I looking for as far as wear ?
2. it has a threaded barrel w/slant brake , good or bad?
3. what all can I do with it as far as project gun?
4. it has a low cap mag in it and the shop owner let me put a 30rnd mag into it . will it feed and work with a hi-cap if it fits into the receiver, or is there some other inhibitor to stop me from using a hi-cap?
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If it accepts a Hi-capacity in the mag well, it will take them no problem. The slant break is okay, but if you have the muzzle threaded you can change it out for a US break in several styles, or if you get the proper US count for parts, any MB will do. $250 sounds like a good price, as long as it isn't beat to pieces. Check for bore wear as well as on the internals. Some should be expected, and the Maadi's finish isn't the best to start with.  Unless you have some bad misgivings, I'd go for it. Anyone else want to voice an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Be certain that it is an imported MAADI and not a U.S. built one.    You may not realize that the Egyptian MAADI MISR rifle was imported up until the ban of 94, after that they just shipped MAADI parts into the country and assembled them on US made receivers and added the 922 compliance parts ( a certain number of parts must be US mase for the gun to be considerd US made, getting around the ban).

I believe century arms international is the importer that did this,   and from what I read, they do not have a good reputation for quality.    I have never had aby of there products.  These all came with single stack mags, however, they acccept doouble stacks,  

Hope this helps.....hinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Maadi MISR rifles come in a couple of flavors.  The MISR S/A was hi-cap.  MISR 10 was lo-cap.  The MISR 90 was a bastard child with a slant cut (rear) receiver mated to Norinco MAK 90 parts.   This is the least desirable of the Maadi's.   It can be difficult to find suitable replacement stocks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
well I bought it !!!!!! $236 out the door w/tax. I already have ammo and mag pouches on the way!!! 2k of ammo should do for a little while. for mags I need advice for the best place to buy or wait for the next "funshow"!
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Maadi rifles were imported by Styer till the 1989 ban. There were none imported till 1992-3 when PARS International and ACC/Intrac imported the models ARM,RML,and RPM. Both stopped importing Maadi rifles in 1995.
In 1996 Century Arms imported stripped Maadi receivers and used some of them to make the MISR-90 rifles. These were assembled with a Maadi receiver and all other parts were from MAK-90 parts kits. In 1997 Century Arms imported the Maadi MISR rifles. On April 6,1998 the Treasury Secutary made this ruling.
www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm
After the above ruling Century Arms imported the Maadi model MISR-10 which uses single stack 5 or 10 round mags only.
In 1999 Century Arms imported the MISR rifles without the hammer,trigger,and sear. They assembled them with US made hammer,trigger,sear,and pistol grip. The 5rd mag that came with every rifle had a US made floor plate. So using a imported magazine without 1 US part would be illegal. Later that year Century Arms imported the model MISR S/A which was assembled with the same US parts as the MISR but had a US made gas piston which made it legal to use with  imported magazines.
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the first time I've heard this about the gas pistons in the S/A  (but then again, I'm new to AKs).   Century refused to discuss what parts were US made in the MISR S/A I have.  It only came with a 5RD magazine.  The FCG parts  had a C stamped on it (3 parts) and the mag follower and floorplate was also stamped with a C (2 parts).  It was my understanding this is what gave the 5 compliance parts.  I was thinking  of swapping out the pistol grip and gas piston to give enough parts to make any magazine legal.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Get some more magazines and you are definitly going to need more ammo
Link Posted: 12/18/2004 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I orderd 10 mags today and picked up 500 rnds of FMJ!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, $250 for a high cap Maddi is a killer deal !
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
no, not $250 but $236 out the door!! I just had to rub it in .
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope my two cents isn't too late-- When I had my shop (1996-'99) we saw a LOT of AK-types come through, and I always liked the fit of the Maadis-- These were the early thumbhole models-- I'm still kicking myself for not buying one. They also have the attraction of being as close to a real Soviet AK as was ever imported here (except for the preban Steyr-imported guns).  Dude, you stole that thing; hope you have a ton of fun with it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the early PARS Intl. Maadis that came with the laminated thumbhole stock, UGLY gun out of the box..... I modified the stock removing the thumbhole web to look and feel like a pistol grip stock, sanded it bare and refinished it with a nice multi-coat oil finish and it looks pretty good. I have run well over 1000 rounds, probably over 2000, through it and intentionally have never cleaned it just to see how long it will run without cleaning. The thing has never jammed or misfed the first time. At that price, you done real good. It is at least as reliable as a good SKS. Beats the hell out of my Colt AR-15. Most fun reliable gun I have ever had.

Now go to http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx and download the "bumpfire" filmclip instructions near the bottom of the page, you will likely have to download the "DivX" player from the site to view the filmclip. Then find a wide open place to spray lead and get some more ammo!!!!

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top