Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/9/2003 10:50:04 AM EDT
at acearms.com they have "Receiver blanks" and "weld kits" for $30. Has any one ever built one of these? do standard parts kits come with every thing you need? I don't want to buy one, built it, and put it together wrong with out one or two important parts.

I've built AR15's from parts kits, but I didn't need to alter them in any way for them to fit. I'm just worried ill take to much off and halve to buy a new one ore something.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:01:15 AM EDT
The information you seek should be in one or more of the links here. www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=53904

For further information, check out the "Build it yourself" AK forum. The guys there will be more than happy to help you out.

In short, with the exception of placing the barrel and trunion on the reciever, building an AK is a job a monkey could do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:27:02 PM EDT
i strongly suggest you stay away from the scam. you may end up serving time and loose the future over a few bucks. in addition, it is not as easy as it is advertised on that site. i think it is a scam; possibly a brady sponsored work to get people in trouble.

a gun is going to have a serial number regardless of how we like it. the blank receiver won't have that because it is listed as non-gun. there is just isn't a way around the fact that a gun needs to be listed in some kind of database. if not, then it is no different than having a gun shipped in this country illegally. although i hate gun laws, i like to buy things that are listed in the book. there is only so many corners and loopholes i plan to take to acquire a gun, and getting a blank receiver is definitely not one of it.

it will cost you more than you think; possibly your future.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:56:02 AM EDT
Absolutely WRONG.

If you build it yourself, all you have to do is put SOME SORT of identifying mark or number on it, such as a serial number. It doesnt have to go in any database, you dont have to call the ATF and say "Hey look what I built". As long as you dont go making a business of building for the sole purpose of selling. Sort of like that C&R thing, where you cant buy with a C&R with the intent to engage in business.

There is a website out there, that I cant think of right now, where the guy built 2 AR's from 80% receivers, and for his identifier, he named one Wren and the other Stimpy, and put a pic of the cartoon character on the rifle.

So if you get one of those receiver blanks, just be sure to put some kind of number, or name, or something on it. I was thinking of doing that, and then puttin on the receiver "MFR 14-11-13", for "My Fuckin Rifle".
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:36:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tk421:
There is a website out there, that I cant think of right now, where the guy built 2 AR's from 80% receivers, and for his identifier, he named one Wren and the other Stimpy, and put a pic of the cartoon character on the rifle.

I know Stimpy; Stimpy is a friend of mine. Both I and my daughter have shot his "homemade" ARs.

You can find out just how legal it is to build your own receiver on the BATF website. I built an AK receiver out of steel flat stock welded together. It worked OK, but not great and was harder than I thought it would be.

Stimpy's site is http://home.alltel.net/jbperry/arproject.htm
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:01:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By asianthug47:
i strongly suggest you stay away from the scam. you may end up serving time and loose the future over a few bucks. in addition, it is not as easy as it is advertised on that site. i think it is a scam; possibly a brady sponsored work to get people in trouble.

a gun is going to have a serial number regardless of how we like it. the blank receiver won't have that because it is listed as non-gun. there is just isn't a way around the fact that a gun needs to be listed in some kind of database. if not, then it is no different than having a gun shipped in this country illegally. although i hate gun laws, i like to buy things that are listed in the book. there is only so many corners and loopholes i plan to take to acquire a gun, and getting a blank receiver is definitely not one of it.

it will cost you more than you think; possibly your future.

Here's another felon in the making, damn brady bunch is gonna get him too. www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=168737&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:46:53 PM EDT
have fun building your illegal gun. give my neighbor a call if you get caught. he'll bail you out.

703 206 5501

i can explain to you more why it is illegal, but you would be too stubborn to listen.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:50:46 PM EDT
i'll be glad to make atf aware of your activity if you like since you think it is legal.

i am directing my comment to tk421. this bubba obviously would fail background check and probably has never buy a gun with paper work.

without record of gun serial number, noone can tell if the rifle is preban or not. anyone can say stimpy was made in 1946 out of curiosity.

what an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:14:05 AM EDT
Hey thug,

You sound like a person who has never read CFR Title 18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105.

Anyone ever tell you that before?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:10:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/23/2003 3:11:28 PM EDT by obershutze916]
Gentlemen, play nice or this thread goes bye bye.

Ober
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:06:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By asianthug47:
i'll be glad to make atf aware of your activity if you like since you think it is legal.

i am directing my comment to tk421. this bubba obviously would fail background check and probably has never buy a gun with paper work.

without record of gun serial number, none can tell if the rifle is preban or not. anyone can say stimpy was made in 1946 out of curiosity.

what an idiot.

Please check your facts before quoting Federal law.if you are stating your local laws they may not apply to others.
Marking a receiver is optional and used for identification in case of theft, otherwise none is necessary if the 922 rules are followed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:05:09 AM EDT
Asianthug; I can only assume that you are real new to the gun scene and the Internet gun world, otherwise you would know that there are hundreds, Hell, maybe even thousands, of Internet sites that exist for the sole purpose of helping people build their guns. I'v seen letters from BATFE stating that building your own gun is perfectly legal, as long as US firearms laws are followed. (no fullauto, no assault weapons, no sbr, ect.) No, I cannot provide you with a link, I don't know how to. Go to any build your own site, and ask there, someone will help you. I would suggest the following sites: 1919A4.com, Sten9mm, Falfiles, hell even ak47.net.
To the guy who started this thread: Yes, you can build your own receiver, but the build would go easier if you started with a bent blank at least.
OJF
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/8/2003 8:03:49 PM EDT by AW4EVER]
thug,
I've been building my own guns for years. I've also been posting all the info on these builds. This info includes photos, machine set-ups and procdures.
As long as 922 rules are followed, you have nothing to worry about. You can even build SBRs, silencers, ect IF you get BATFE aproval BEFORE you start your project.
As far as serial #s go none are required by FEDERAL law for home built firearms. It is recomended that some sort of identifying mark be put on the weapon in case it is stolen.
Remeber FEDERAL laws and LOCAL or STATE laws often donot agree with each other.
I hope this helps you understand what the laws say.
Now back to the original topic. Yes you can make your own AK reciver.
I just finished an AMD65 where I made the reciver out of 316L stainless steel. It was a PIA and took a couple of tries. But I learned a lot. So far I have shot about 1500 rounds through it with no problems. I am now in the prosess of building another reciver. All I need to do now is decide wether to make an RPK or a Polish PMKS.
Top Top