Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2009 10:12:33 AM EDT
Just did a FCG swap out on a Chinese mak with Tapco American made parts.

I noticed that when the safety selector is brought up for removal on the right side it would ride over the tail end of the hammer spring.  To reinsert the safety selector one has to pull that tail end of the spring of the way.

What is the best way to modify that spring to stop that from happening?  I am worried that it could slipe back during firing and jam the FCG.  It appear that it will not as long as the safety level is moved no further than its normal safe position, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I just ordered a "new" spring (probably east german) that I can work with for the modification.

The orginal FCG was double hook and I replaced it with a double hook system.

I have two folding stocks; I installed the TAPCO for now since it is easier to install.  I want eventually to put on an AMD folder and understand how to do that.  I took a measuring tape and found with the Tapco the folded gun is longer than 26 inches.  If I removed the rear trunion and mount the AMD with its trunion the gun will be about 25 inches.  That means I have to install something on the front of the 16 inch barrel to add an inch or so.  The thread is mostly ground off but one can still see the orginal thread pattern.  When I rethread does the new US flash hidder need to be welded for compliance with 922r?  This would be to prevent anyone from removing it and creating a NFA weapon.

I currently do like the way the gun looks with a folder and it should be a very good close range to 140 yards self defense tool.  The plastic Tapco stock in my opinion is fragile and I really would like to install the AMD steel folder.
I will greatly appreciation any help.  Thanks

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much for the suggestion.  For now I will not change the engagement of the safety with the FCG since it only contacts on the right side where it also touches the spring.  The 2 legs of the spring are not exactly even in length and is longer on the right.  I notice that the spring only makes contact with the safety when the hammer is not cocked.  So for now I will only put the safety on when the hammer is cocked.  I will see what the replacement spring is like or if needed do something else.  

Thanks
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top