Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 2:18:55 PM EDT
This is the sequel to "can i save this kit."  I drilled out what I thought was the center of the barrell pin.  Once I had a hole, I removed the barrel with no problem (2 easy wacks with BFH/penny/11mm socket technique.)  Now I can see that I was off by 1/8" (towards rear of barrel) when i was drilling.  I'm thinking that when I put it together I should be able to put in a new pin and weld it by feeling in the gap.  Any thoughts or experiences with this screw up?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a hell of a time with the barrel pin on my first ever  Romy kit. I didn't have a press and used a BFH, misc punches and a vise. Well, I broke two of the vises and bent three punches. Here are the things I've learned from the experience.
#1. You can remove the barrel and the barrel pin easily without a press.
#2. Get a good 6" vise. A 4" can't handle pins/barrels well.
#3. Most importantly SOAK THE BARREL PIN!!

I broke two 4" vises so I went and got a Craftsman 6". Here's my method.
PB Blast is the best thing you can have, soak the pin for 12hrs-overnight. Just spray it on the pin and let it sit.
Take a small punch (1/2" or a piece from a cheap multihex screwdriver. Grind the hex sides off until you have a little cylinder.
Line the little punch up with the pin while making sure you have room for the exit of the pin on the other side.
Crank down on it until you can't turn anymore. Cover it with a towel to be safe and take a BFH and smack the front of the vise. If you soaked the pin overnight it will definitely start moving.
Now the pin will either move by you cranking the vise or tighten it up and do the same thing again.
Once I have it out half way I move to a 3lb handsledge and a punch. It makes a huge difference if you bang on the punch on the cement of your shop floor or driveway. I tried on my wood shop bench and it doesn't have the same effect cause it rebounds/gives a little.
I pushed the barrel out with a 6" gear puller from HF. Let that soak overnight also. I replaced the bolts in the gear puller with grade 8 because I snapped them all on the first kit due to the fact I didn't use PB Blast. Hope this helps you or someone else because I know how frustrating it can get.
The last thing I'll say is you will be amazed at how much quicker your second build goes after you've learned from your mistakes on the first one.

-MC
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tips.  I'm the type of guy who likes to challenge myself by doing it hard and cheap way.  So far I have completely disassembled the kit and the only purchase I have made is a 5" vise.  I know I will need to invest in a few other since i'm doing rivets.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top