Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/10/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
i only plan on blasting a few parts kits/receivers.  i'm going to pick up a blast cabinet tomorrow and was wondering if i could get by with using a coupler to combine two mid sized compressors to feed the blast gun.

has anyone done that?  would it work?

i'd like to avoid buying a big ass compressor for a few jobs.

caspian
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i tryed it with a midsize compressor that had the airflow (acording to specs to work)
you actually need alot more air than it says you do

you can get a hf 60 gal compressor for less than you can buy a name brand
15 gal

after sale price and alittle fast talking to a highschool dropout
i got mine for alittle over 250
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]
crap, that's what i waas afraid of.

if our local HF had that size in stock, i would go that route.  the one by me either has 8 gallon compressors or 80 gal (for $999).

Home Depot has a 60 gal w/5 HP motor for $449.  i'll probably have to go that route if this doesn't work out.

thanks
caspian
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I hooked up another external tank in addition to the air compressor tank made out of an old tall propane tank.  My aircompresser delivers about 6cfm@90 psi.  I charge up the tanks up to 140psi before I start to blast.  I have to let the aircompressor catch back up with me every now and them, but it works well.  Its not about how big your compressor is, its about how much air you can store.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 For sand blasting capacity counts.

Quoted:
I hooked up another external tank in addition to the air compressor tank made out of an old tall propane tank.  My aircompresser delivers about 6cfm@90 psi.  I charge up the tanks up to 140psi before I start to blast.  I have to let the aircompressor catch back up with me every now and them, but it works well.  Its not about how big your compressor is, its about how much air you can store.  

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are only going to blast guns, you dont really need much.  I use a 115v pancake compressor compressor and a small handheld Gilmour blaster.  Blaster  I didnt get them from those online dealers.  That is just what they look like.  I have had the blaster for a long time.  I got the compressor locally.

The compressor wont quite keep up, but it does good enough.  I use silica sand and do it outside the back door of the shop.   One or two loads in the Gilmour will do it.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top