Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:51:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 12:57:09 PM EDT
So how did it get aligned?

Hammer: $2
How to whack it: Priceless
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:38:30 PM EDT
So, since the G3 stuff got brought up again, I wanted to ask:

Who makes G3 receivers to use with parts kits?

Who would have built a G3 "Sporter" with an American Arms receiver? Custom build, or someplace similiar to Century?

If it's not Century, and it's a "mass-produced" rifle, how does it compare?

If it's custom, how well do the American Arms receivers hold up?
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:41:04 PM EDT
Oh, the other stupid question:

Is there any difference between a CETME and a G3/91?

Basically, could I do to a CETME anything I could do to a G3/91?

Thank you for tolerating my ignorance on all of this...
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2003 2:50:14 PM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 2:40:47 PM EDT
"Basically, could I do to a CETME anything I could do to a G3/91?" In crudely basic terms, yes.

Few parts besides rollers and slimline stocks (may be some exceptions) are interchangable. There are WAY more G3 parts out there for future service. CETME tends to have softer recoil, without ranting about roller angles/wear/which recoil buffer assembly is used. Optics mount the same on most stamped receivers. G3 triggers are usually superior.

I did lots of homework and shopping for my CETME and got lucky with a very good one. Then I got a G3 with pretty internals but needs 'more sight movement' to get it right even though it looks good to my eyes.
For low budget patience and effort get a Century build. Or pay at least twice for a known top pro build.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:40:22 PM EDT
So, another question:

What's so special about a pre-ban HK91?

A local gunshop has a website, and I was checking it out - they have a pre-ban HK91 "like-new" for $3399

Even if there's something super great about this gun, I ain't going to buy it - I'm not the type that has to own pre-ban, or has to have it be "officially 100% HK built" or anything.

If it looks good, functions well, then I don't really care who's name is on the side...
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:13:17 PM EDT
Genuine HK build quality.
No parts count or evil features issues.
But for that price I'd rather have a SEBR AR10 and lots of change.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:25:52 PM EDT
Hell, for that price, I'd rather have 4 or 5 other "inexpensive" post-bans with some US parts in them.

Man, I started to get excited the other day, though - I've always been a major SIG freak. My 229's got me hooked on SIG, and gunnery.net (WHAT HAPPENED TO GUNNERY.NET?!) got me hooked on the SIG 550/551/552 series of rifles (551 Sniper, OH!).

Anyhow, I about crapped my pants - found a website that was selling SIG 551 parts kits.

Then, I scrolled up a bit, and saw "SIG 551 RECEIVERS"

Calmed down a bit, and read all the words in between: "SIG 551 REPAIR/REPLACEMENT RECEIVERS"

Plus, the parts kit costs $2575.

It's a damn shame, I tell you what...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:47:42 AM EDT
The CETMEs on the market right now (99% of em) are done by the monkey's a Centruy. One thing I noticed when looking over their website is that they just took their G3 reciver and slapped parts kits on them. While it does work (not as good a original spec) there are some noted problems. My CETME mags will latch in, but they hang down low enough that the bolt carrier will not strip rounds out of the mag. G3 mags fit because, TADA, it's a G3 reciver, but I had to modify the mags a bit to get them to latch. Overall it's a decent shooter, but I would wholy reccomend to get a pro to build one for you on anything but a Century reciver, I'd even take a (ack dare I say it?) Hesse or Special Weapons reciver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:41:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:59:44 AM EDT
Guys I bought a CETME a couple of months back.I really just got it for what it is.I didn't have this type (action)and for the money ,I put it in my collection. I got about $400 in the rifle ,15 mags, sling, .It shoots good and is accurate. It shoots alittle to the left, with the adjustment fully rotated.I haven't gotten as itchy as Campy to tinker with it yet.But it has been a good shooter.And I believe in 10 years I will be glad I got it. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:44:10 AM EDT
OK, one more newbie question.

I just ordered a CETME. Which mags will work?

Tj
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:17:27 AM EDT
TJ, who's cetme did you order? More specifically what name receiver is it?

I have a SAR8 with the thumbhole stock. I bought it NIB for $700 and have been very pleased with the results. Its highly accurate and has excellent fit and finish. I ordered the pistol grip, stock and other assorted parts to get rid of the thumbhole but FAC has shipped the wrong parts 3 times now. I need to order the HK sight tool as well but I figure I'll wait till this stuff is in first.

Overall the only downside I can see to the weapon is BHO and weight. I usually count my shots so BHO isnt that bad and I'm kinda a big guy so the weight doesnt bother me. I've hiked 7 hours with it strapped to my back along with 100 rounds in extra mags with out a problem.

After buying my SAR and then going back and looking at the century and hesse made ones they really stand out as crap.

I'm not all into german ingenuity or anything but I do like this design. Its simple and functional but also has the mystique associated with pump action shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:53:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Genuine HK build quality.
No parts count or evil features issues.
But for that price I'd rather have a SEBR AR10 and lots of change.

But, BUT you don't get to use the world infamous 'CLAW MOUNT' to scope an AR-10 !!

I only got three probs with HK's:

1)Over priced
2)Over here
3)Claw mount
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:02:43 AM EDT
LHD,

Since I am really into .223 and AKs already, I went with an inexpensive approach to the CETME so bought a Century Black Rifle Sportster or will I should say when it comes in. I was wondering if it will feed G3 mags or HK mags.

It's been years since I shot a HK variant and all I can remember was the spinning the round out and marking the cases other than that I understand they are reliable but not all that acurate. The HKs were so overpriced and this is so reasonably priced, I just had to give it a try.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:34:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:04:56 AM EDT
Campy,
May I ask how you fixed it and what was wrong with it.

Last I read it shot groups that were off in FEET, and that the trunion was squared properly?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:22:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
LHD,

Since I am really into .223 and AKs already, I went with an inexpensive approach to the CETME so bought a Century Black Rifle Sportster or will I should say when it comes in. I was wondering if it will feed G3 mags or HK mags.

The G3/HK mags are one in the same. The cetme mags are a little different. Its probably going to be a crapshoot with the century receiver. I have friends that have them and one takes the cetme mags like a champ while the other two are using G3/HK mags. Hopefully it comes with one that fits and you can just buy more. Tapco used to have a haversack kit with 5 cetme mags, 5 g3 mags, a cetme sling and a g3 sling for $60. Let me know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:53:19 PM EDT

Tj

Either CETME or G3 if built on the Century stamped receiver used in both guns, the answer is "you must figure it out yourself". I have a rare CETME that accepts either, with the G3 mags just a bit tighter and needing a pat to seat them each time. There are tiny variances in mag well opening dimensions, mag catch height, as well as the possibility of filing the mags tabs that seat up against the mag well in order to finesse the best fit from the Centurized gun.
Buy both LOL! Some G3 and some CETME mags, see what works best in yours and stock up from there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:16:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:

Tj

Either CETME or G3 if built on the Century stamped receiver used in both guns, the answer is "you must figure it out yourself". I have a rare CETME that accepts either, with the G3 mags just a bit tighter and needing a pat to seat them each time. There are tiny variances in mag well opening dimensions, mag catch height, as well as the possibility of filing the mags tabs that seat up against the mag well in order to finesse the best fit from the Centurized gun.
Buy both LOL! Some G3 and some CETME mags, see what works best in yours and stock up from there.

You guys know me if I buy a G3 mag and it doesn't work I will just have to buy a G3 to match up with it.

Thanks for the advice Guys. I'll see what is available at the gunshow this weekend.

Keep us posted Campy, I'm learning from your experiences.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:27:40 PM EDT
My CETME launched cases 30'+ at 3-4 o'clock, then I put in a HK port buffer (found on cheap group buy last winter) and they now go about 12' at 2 o'clock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:10:39 PM EDT
I've had pretty good luck with my CETME. I haven't had any trouble with any mags. The steel CETME mags fit great, and I got the aluminum G3 mags with the chrome follower, and they fit great too. They were cheap and in excellent condition.

Don't get the G3 sling for it. I bought a nice HK sling, but it doesn't clip into the stock on the CETME.
Top Top