Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2004 9:15:50 AM EDT
I know that this has probably been answered many times before, but what is a good dull finish for a stock set I already stained?  I was going to polyurethane it but I don't like the high gloss.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I stripped the furniture on my SAR1 then rubbed in a mixture of 1/3rd beeswax, turpintine and linseed oil. You can use just linseed oil if you want, military weapons were maintained for years using linseed oil.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm very pleased with Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil (around $5 at Wally World).  Just rub it on with your finger.  Between coats use #0000 steel wool and for the final coat use steel wool again if you want it dull or leave it alone for gloss.  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm very pleased with Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil (around $5 at Wally World).  Just rub it on with your finger.  Between coats use #0000 steel wool and for the final coat use steel wool again if you want it dull or leave it alone for gloss.  You won't be disappointed.

I have to agree with squeky on this, many sweet looking stocks were refinished with tru-oil.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
does this tru oil seal the wood?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Right from their site (www.birchwoodcasey.com:

There is no better oil finish! TRU-OIL Gun Stock Finish is the professional’s choice for gunstock (or furniture) finishing for more than 30 years. Its unique blend of linseed and natural oils dries fast and will not cloud, yellow or crack with age and resists water damage. TRU-OIL Gun Stock Finish penetrates deeply and forms a tough, clear, hard finish that protects and enhances the beauty of fine woods. For a hand rubbed, satin luster, simply buff with steel wool and rubbing compound or use Stock Sheen & Conditioner. Excellent as a sealer for under butt plates, recoil pads and in inletted actions to prevent stock damage. Use the liquid for fast filling of the pores and the aerosol for the final finish.

So, yes, it does seal.  Also, the $5.60 bottle listed seems like enough to me to do about 50 stocks (seriously, you don't hardly use any of this stuff--except when you spill half of it like me).  You can find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Try tung oil. I refinished the stock on my SAR-1 with Formby's low gloss tung oil and I really like it. It has just enough of a gloss to tell that the wood is finished and sealed but is still subdued. If you use this, just be careful! Get the barrel hot enough and the tung oil will boil out and burn the crap out of your hand! Ask me how I know! The good thing about tung oil is that it's easy as all get-out to fix. If the wood dries out, just slop more tung oil on and let dry. Simple!

Bub
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.  I think I am going to try tru oil out and see how it looks.  Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top