Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2005 1:23:34 PM EDT
Got in from Houston Friday night. Spent from 0200 thursday morning to 1030 friday morning stuck in traffic on I-45, traveled a grand total of 53 miles in those 33 hours. To make things worse, cops blocked off all exits from I45 and didn't allow people to get off the Interstate. My partner and I spent 33 hours without food or water. The only way we finally broke free of the traffic was all the cars started running out of gas and pulled off to the side. The only good thing I have to say about that evacuation is that the people were moderately well behaved. They didn't act anything like the N.O. people.
OJF
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats crazy, i guess these guys with SHTF goodies in their trunks would have made out good on that little excursion (MRE's). What about the people on motorcycles? What were they doing, were they cutting through traffic?  McM
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry you got caught man.. Real sorry.  About all I can say good of that mess and the NOLA shitstorm is that both incidents should (MUST) cause a serious reappraisal of disaster planning in this country, both on an official level and a personal one.

Things have been "pie in the sky" unrealistic for a looooooong time.. Since about "Duck and Cover".  

I can't imagine having to ride out a hurricane in a traffic jam.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
not letting poeple exit to use side roads???? that is utter bullshit!

They should be DEMANDING thaqt poeple exit and use side roads and access roads!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw surpriseingly few motorcycles, maybe a dozen or less. They were splitting lanes like crazy, didn't see any doors get taken off though. that would have been a good humor break, needed something to laugh about. finally realized why everyone was so behaved; this is Texas, where everyone packs a little heat! Piss off the guy in the chevy pickup next to you, next thing you know you're looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge!

OJF
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn skippy I know people that live close to I 45 from the 610 loop to Dallas wish I would have known you were down there I would have warned em ...Not really alot of damage my Dad (lives in the Woodlands)lost a tree and half his wooden fence but other than that most were just hanging out having storm parties..
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top