Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 12:46:38 PM EDT by kc8ard]
Hello all. Before you slam me for even bringing the subject up, I, in no way, wish to make an illegal gun. I just purchased a romanian kit from AIM Surplus. It will be my entry into the AK game. US parts aside, does this thing come with burst/full auto components? I'm fairly paranoid about having both a receiver and the components in the same area. I want to know if I need to trash/destroy the trigger group components when I get the kit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 12:19:05 PM EDT by clange]
The parts are legal to own. As long as you dont modify a receiver you're ok.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:20:00 PM EDT
they are legal to own so long as your receiver is not modded to take them(in which case you'd be screwed regardless of if you owned the parts) if you're really worried, sell them on the EE or throw them away.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
I have wondered about this also. Does anybody know why you can have FA AK FCG's and have recievers, yet you cannot have FA AR parts? The only reason I can come up with is that the AR parts are pretty much drop-in, whereas the AK would require the receiver being modified.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:34:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tintedtahoe:
I have wondered about this also. Does anybody know why you can have FA AK FCG's and have recievers, yet you cannot have FA AR parts? The only reason I can come up with is that the AR parts are pretty much drop-in, whereas the AK would require the receiver being modified.

There is no logic behind not legally being able to own M16 parts and an AR receive while it is legal to keep full auto AK parts with a semi auto AK receiver.

Full auto AK fire control parts are no more difficult to install than M16 parts into an AR15 receiver. In both rifles the auto sear is the part that requires receiver modification to be installed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:41:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Azalin:

Originally Posted By tintedtahoe:

There is no logic behind not legally being able to own M16 parts and an AR receive while it is legal to keep full auto AK parts with a semi auto AK receiver.

Full auto AK fire control parts are no more difficult to install than M16 parts into an AR15 receiver. In both rifles the auto sear is the part that requires receiver modification to be installed.

I should have know its just typical gubment logic. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:01:54 PM EDT
Huh, I didn't know that the AK receiver required modification. But, if I had burst components in my possession that would fit in my AR, wouldn't this constitute illegal machine gun possession? Even though I still have to drill another hole. Should I write a letter to the batfe?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:11:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kc8ard:
Huh, I didn't know that the AK receiver required modification. But, if I had burst components in my possession that would fit in my AR, wouldn't this constitute illegal machine gun possession? Even though I still have to drill another hole. Should I write a letter to the batfe?

If you do, they will make something up, arrest you, then destroy your guns. Or make it illegal.

Remember the shoestring issue? Bam. Leave them in the dark.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:11:46 PM EDT

Yes, illegal possesion.

And no, don't bother writing ATF. It's been done.

Sorry, I don't have the link.

efxguy

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q-gunner2:

If you do, they will make something up, arrest you, then destroy your guns. Or make it illegal.

What's the shoestring issue?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q-gunner2:

What's the shoestring issue?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=264068

As for the full-auto FCG in the AK kits, I just send them along with my kits to the builder -- sort of like a little free bonus gift for them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:23:27 PM EDT
The deal with the ar and m16 parts is different than with the ak. Full auto selector, disconnector, hammer in an ak no full auto action without the third hole. Full auto parts in an ar with a DIAS and no hole equals full auto. They cant tell that its ever been modified with the DIAS. Now as soon as someone makes a DIAS for an ak those parts will probably become illegal but now they are fine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:25:09 PM EDT

Dude, are yo f&%ckin nuts? Why on gods green earth would you write the ATF? Do you like bringing problems on yourself? Wondering about full auto is perfectly normal (I have been doing it since I played with GI Joe). But just throw the Full auto stuff away. It isnt worth anything because the reciever has to be modified, and the only thing you could put the parts in would be a leagaly registered full auto reciever.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT
It is best to remain quite and deny everything....
I have heard of some people being arrested for possesing a working AK and AK full auto control group..
Something about INTENT to make one...
Like the combination of a AR15 rilfe,,,M16 guts and bolt and a Drilling fixture..
To you...you are an honest collector of parts...To BATFE an ILLEGAL machine gun in the works.
I personally just get rid of them..
I am not a lawyer...just paraniod
IMHO
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:27:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spartan28:

Dude, are yo f&%ckin nuts? Why on gods green earth would you write the ATF? Do you like bringing problems on yourself? Wondering about full auto is perfectly normal (I have been doing it since I played with GI Joe). But just throw the Full auto stuff away. It isnt worth anything because the reciever has to be modified, and the only thing you could put the parts in would be a leagaly registered full auto reciever.

My belief was more along the lines that if I wrote the ATF, then the document would be legally binding to me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:37:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spartan28:

My belief was more along the lines that if I wrote the ATF, then the document would be legally binding to me.

Yeah, they (ATF) will make sure somthing (Felony) will be legaly binding. I'm not being a dickhead but the ATF will always go for the easy target. They dont care that gangbangers and drug dealers have full autos and shoot eachother all day long. They always want to bust the legal gun owners. We are a bigger threat to them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:38:09 PM EDT
Since the AK or Mini-30 or SKS would require no modification to accept the shoestring, are shoestrings illegal when near guns like M-16 parts are illegal near an AR-16? Or since M-16 parts are totally illegal, are shoestrings totally illegal?

If I shoot my AK with soes on will I get arrested?
Top Top