Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 4/19/2007 7:57:26 AM EST
I just bought a "new style" rubber ergo grip for my norinco 85s, in order to fit the grip nut (the one that goes into receiver) I've had to dremel some material from inside the grip, now I've installed it but it left a noticeable gap either in the upper grip and in the portion that goes against the triggerguard.

Seems to me a very poor piece of equipment.

Anyone have installed the grip in his ak?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:01:19 AM EST

Quoted:
I just bought a "new style" rubber ergo grip for my norinco 85s, in order to fit the grip nut (the one that goes into receiver) I've had to dremel some material from inside the grip, now I've installed it but it left a noticeable gap either in the upper grip and in the portion that goes against the triggerguard.

Seems to me a very poor piece of equipment.

Anyone have installed the grip in his ak?

Is it a tapco grip? If so theres your problem. I have a norinco underfolder, I put a bakelite grip on it for awhile fit fine, but didnt care for it went back to the checkered wood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:07:43 AM EST
Just a thought, but if a better gripping surface is what you are looking for, perhaps you could fit a hogue slip-on rubber grip to the factory wood grip.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:29:47 AM EST
I just wanted a more ergonomic grip, and when I saw the ergo one bought it, texture is very good, and also ergonomics, but fit is really poor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:37:26 AM EST
I installed a Ergo grip on my Norinco MAK with no problem whatsoever.  No complaints here.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:42:44 AM EST
maybe you could try using shims or something to get it to fit better?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:43:37 PM EST
height=8
Quoted:
maybe you could try using shims or something to get it to fit better?

Shims are no answer as far as I am concerned.. It fits or it dosnt fit..
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:37:45 PM EST
I installed an Ergo grip(new-style, rubber covered)on my Bulgarian milled rifle.  Yes it took quite a bit of dremmel work, but I expected that.  Now it fits great and feels better than any other aftermarket grip I've tried, I believe I've tried them all.  Nice piece of equipment, maybe your dremmel-fu is weak

ETA

Did yours have the little rubber piece that fits between the grip and the rifle?  That took up a considerable bit of space behind the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:01:11 PM EST
I bought an Ergo old-style AK grip (non-rigid).  It would wobble no matter how tight I made it.  The wobble was front-to-back not side-to-side.  I got frustrated with it and took it into work one day and put it on the belt sander and took about 1/8" off the top of it.
Now it fits great and has very little play when tightened up.  Not to mention the fact that the beavertail on it is less so the web of my hand sits closer to the receiver.
If I were to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I probably would get the old-style rigid grip.
YMMV, of course.
Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:26:58 PM EST
I have the new style ambi Ergo, and love the fit.  Best AK grip on the market.  If you dont like yours, I'll take it off your hands.
Top Top