Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:33 PM EDT
My son wants me to purchase a dragonov sniper rifle is it worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT by mobius]
if you can find one, it will cost you some major bucks...........chinese ones in 54r, around 3 grand. soviet ones 5-6 grand, the russian TIGR around 1500 bucks and up, depending if it has military furniture on it.

or are you referring to the ROMAK III rifles?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 5:40:26 PM EDT by xcell]
HE was looking at the romak. But for those prices I will skip.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:44:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:00:20 PM EDT
I'd love to have an SVD, but it ain't ever going to happen. You have to drop some serious dough
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:55:02 PM EDT
I have a Dragunov Tigr that I was thinking of selling, comes with the military buttstock. Certainly don't think it's worth $1500. Let me know if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:27:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:40:01 AM EDT
I have a PSL. If you've ever shot a Mosin Nagant you'll really apreciate this rifle! It tames recoil amazingly well. It's accurate. I shoot surplus ammo so it cost as much to feed my PSL as it does to feed my 9mm handgun. Despite the fact that I feed it bad ammo it shoots under 1MOA. I was quite surprised because I was expecting in the field of 2.5 MOA. Suposedly with Wolf 154 grain 7.62x54R it gets even more acurate. Unfortunatley I've yet to find a good, reliable supply of Wolf. As far as power goes, it's a little hotter than .308, someone said splits the difference between 308 and 30-06 but I thnk that's wishfull thinking. It will put down a Javelina at 150 yards without any problems though. Another nice thing about it is that it isn't counted as an assult rifle. It's a 10 round mag and the rifle has a thumbhole stock. Personally I think mine will need a little sanding to make it fit right but it's tolerable. And best of all, it a great shooting, high power, inexpensive rifle with inexpensive ammo.
Picture of my PSL
Incidentally, this puppy was $600 from SOG. I've had people at the range offerm me over $800 for it already. I'm told that mine is above average shape though,
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:54:18 AM EDT
Hey ToeBall,

That one sweet looking "average" rifle. I kind of wish that I had bought one when they were cheeper! I was holding out to find an SVD.

yours,
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:04:52 AM EDT
I own a 7.62x54R NDM-86. It's quite an exotic piece, but it's not the most accurate "sniper rifle" out there by any means. I am the first to admit I own it simply because I think it is really cool - I literally have no practical use for this firearm. That being siad, I have no intentions of getting rid of it either.

I have only tested it out with Wolf - function was perfect but accuracy was hard to gauge. I only had a 100m range to test it on anyway. After 50 rounds I had a nice scab above my nose too - takes a while to figure out how to shoot that thing correctly. Russian-style scopes are a little weird with their eye relief.

You can see the tape protecting the top cover from deflected shell cases.

Oh, and just to tweak "collectors"... I broke the cherry on it - 20 years unfired. Hell I may even get it refinished - I don't believe in safe queens and the paint is pretty cheap.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:46:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Thekatar:
I own a 7.62x54R NDM-86. It's quite an exotic piece, but it's not the most accurate "sniper rifle" out there by any means. I am the first to admit I own it simply because I think it is really cool - I literally have no practical use for this firearm. That being siad, I have no intentions of getting rid of it either.

I have only tested it out with Wolf - function was perfect but accuracy was hard to gauge. I only had a 100m range to test it on anyway. After 50 rounds I had a nice scab above my nose too - takes a while to figure out how to shoot that thing correctly. Russian-style scopes are a little weird with their eye relief.

You can see the tape protecting the top cover from deflected shell cases.

Oh, and just to tweak "collectors"... I broke the cherry on it - 20 years unfired. Hell I may even get it refinished - I don't believe in safe queens and the paint is pretty cheap.

img223.imageshack.us/img223/3152/ndm86rangereport0035rr.jpg

img223.imageshack.us/img223/9982/ndm86rangereport0025mm.jpg

I have to second everything you said... I have one - only shot Wolf through it. Very exotic and completely for the sake of having... I may sell mine one day because I don't shoot it very much.

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:41:08 PM EDT
If you just want a fun, exotic shooter then by all means consider the PSL/Romak-3/SSG-97. Only thing holding it back is a good lightweight match load (even w/surplus I could consistently hit the 18" gong at 500m using the 4x scope). If you want authenticity then get one of the Russian SVDs/Tigrs. However, if you want the most accuracy (and surprising accuracy at that) then pick up an NDM-86 Dragunov in .308. With budget 168gr match ammo & a cheap Russian 8x scope my personal best 4-shot ctc group at 100yds is .44", my best 3-shot ctc group is .24" and my best 3-shot ctc group at 500m is 4.5" (and I'm not a great shot). Even my 16yr-old son could hit the 750m gong the first day he tried it (he now has a .308 NDM-86 of his own). I'll sell every other gun I have before I'll part w/my Dragunovs.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:47:05 PM EDT
For the money, I'd get a NDM-86. But if you want a 54R, you can tune up a Tigr easily enough.
Top Top