Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 4:18:19 PM EDT
I just got a AK and noticed that it is ejects just fine without the ejector and ejector spring which comes with a AR. What is the answer that the AK's extactor does both jobs (extract and eject) ?  anyway the design is smart and simple .
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
there is a piece of metal that sticks out on the side rails in the reciever. the extractor removes the case, keep it on the bolt, then the bolt passes the metal ejector, which hits the case and launches it 50yrds
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
On an AK, the ejector is integral to the left lower reciever rail.  Basically the when the bolt unlocks and starts rearward, the spent case is slammed into the ejector on the left side and the extractor grabs the right side and spits the case out the ejection port.

If you cycle the bolt by hand you can see the ejector project from the lower left side of the bolt face.  It's easier to see with the cover off.

ETA.
Damn, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have said, the AK does not have an ejector plunger or ejector spring.

As the bolt flys rearward, the shell is knocked out by part of the bolt carrier rails.

It's a more robust and more reliable method than the spring-and-plunger type, but it does tend to beat brass up more and fling it much further.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a lot guys these were exelent eyeopener  answers. Anyway i'm just curious you yourself  find out about it  first time on your own or saw it somewhere written ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The AKs ejector is fixed and the AR is captive spring loaded.Reminds me of the 1911s ejector,fixed as well.Could you alter the AKs path of ejection like you can on the 1911 with grinding an angle on?would it matter?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
according to this ejection would a A2 type of case deflector work?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess it would depend on ejection angle and having the shell deflector in the right spot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#8]
  Take a look at your empty cases . They should have a indentation below the shoulder where it slams against the said ejector on the left rail as the bolt carrier is traveling rearward .
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:   Take a look at your empty cases . They should have a indentation below the shoulder where it slams against the said ejector on the left rail as the bolt carrier is traveling rearward .
sorry but I did not have chance to fire it yet. I'm still just playing around at home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:sorry but I did not have chance to fire it yet. I'm still just playing around at home.

Take the receiver cover off and cycle some dummy rounds through by hand.  You'll see how it all works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

AKs usually eject to 2 o'clock.  Usually, it ejects further than AR-15.
There is no need for AR type case deflector.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AKs usually eject to 2 o'clock.  Usually, it ejects further than AR-15.
There is no need for AR type case deflector.

Exactly. Expect cases to land 10-50 feet away forward of the firing line and to the right.

My PSL is the worse when it comes to ballistic cases! It'll hurl straight to the right and fling them to about 70'.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The AKs ejector is fixed and the AR is captive spring loaded.Reminds me of the 1911s ejector,fixed as well.Could you alter the AKs path of ejection like you can on the 1911 with grinding an angle on?would it matter?

Sure can adjust them, once you learn how you can have'em go over your head to the right or where ever. Once you learn it it can be applied to many firearms (.45, fal, HK and etc.)

There are some excellant links on it, if I can find them will post them.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top