Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2005 10:09:47 AM EDT
hello,

does anyone ahve any tricks to get the handguard rivet off?  i have been hammering at it, using WD40 to hopefully get it loose, and using a lighter to heat it up and the dang thing still wont budge!

i'm halfway tempted to just paint the dang handguard, but i hate to halfass it.  

thanks

sa
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I couldnt get mine off either.

What i'm thinking about doing is just buying a new gas tube with a synthetic guard on it allready. They're only about 30 bucks or so.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
ooooh nice.  looks like mine w/o the scope.  what scope/mount is that?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Normally when they install the pin that holds that endcap on, it will be flared more from the end that they inserted it through.

I believe that to be the left side of handguard tube.  It's been my experience that it will come out easier if you try and drive it out from the right (ETA correction) side.  You may have already been attempting this and I know it is still pretty stubborn to get out.  Sometimes the old dremel is necessary.....if you know what I mean............

DK
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Normally when they install the pin that holds that endcap on, it will be flared more from the end that they inserted it through.

I believe that to be the left side of handguard tube.  It's been my experience that it will come out easier if you try and drive it out from the left side.  You may have already been attempting this and I know it is still pretty stubborn to get out.  Sometimes the old dremel is necessary.....if you know what I mean............

DK

what do you suggest i do w/ the dremel?  drill it out, or maybe tap it so the punch will actually stay on it?  i'm halfway tempted to take it to a gun smith, but i knwo they would want probaly $50 to do it hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I had to take pliers and bend mine off the pin instead of driving the pin out.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to do what doneking was suggesting with one of my SKS a few years ago.

I used a Dremel to grind down the flared end of the pin so that I could drive it through the hole with a punch.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I had an aircraft mechanic friend of mine do it. There is a flared side though and only one direction it can go.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had an aircraft mechanic friend of mine do it. There is a flared side though and only one direction it can go.

What kind of SKS.  Mine is a YUGO and neither end was flared.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]
i have an after market dc engineering finned gas tube for sale. it is this one: www.simonov.net/stockaccess.htm (about half-way down the page). if interested, let me know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i have an after market dc engineering finned gas tube for sale. it is this one: www.simonov.net/stockaccess.htm (about half-way down the page). if interested, let me know.

how much?  i am going to try bending the metal to get the rivet out and if all else fails i would be interested.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
it is $25.00 shipped (U.S. POstal Money Order ONLY) - let me know if you are still interested at m-pATnetscapeDOTcom.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much?  i am going to try bending the metal to get the rivet out and if all else fails i would be interested.

If you do get one, let me know how it runs.  What kind of SKS is yours?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the same problem...

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you do get one, let me know how it runs.  What kind of SKS is yours?

i have a chinese sks from what i can tell.   i havent gotten to fire it yet, but i might do a little compare and contrast if i get the finned tube.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had to do what doneking was suggesting with one of my SKS a few years ago.

I used a Dremel to grind down the flared end of the pin so that I could drive it through the hole with a punch.

Good luck

That is what I was referring too.  It may not look flared, but when they grind them smooth, there is a little flare that is just enough to make it a B@!#$.

DK
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Just a bit of friendly advice! Just buy the the new handguard/gas tube from TAPCO and be done with it! I got the pin out of mine and ended up snapping the ferrule in the process (DOH!). The ferrules are not real strong and in the "heat of the moment" they snap like a twig. Thing that really sux is the pin's and ferrules are next to impossible to get a hold of (unless ya wanna pay $15 for a pin )
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top