Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:30:55 AM EST
i have $500 to buy an AK. what's the best one i can get for this price? i want something really nice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:54:41 AM EST
Stop, take the time to save another 100 to 200 bucks more and get a top notch AK, An Arsenal.
You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:55:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By JaketheSnake:
Stop, take the time to save another 100 to 200 bucks more and get a top notch AK, An Arsenal.
You'll thank me later.

Agreed. But, if you can't save any additonal monies, buy a Vector Classic. Make sure it has an OOW or Armory USA receiver.

Bud
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:14:57 PM EST
WASR-10. Im happy with mine, it was a good first gun. Two years, I dont know how many rounds, and a lot of really dumb treatment in the woods later, it still doesnt look much worse for wear or fail to function, ever.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:46:03 PM EST
yugo m70 they shoot nice!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:47:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bachelor_of_Science:

You'll thank me later.

Agreed. But, if you can't save any additonal monies, buy a Vector Classic. Make sure it has an OOW or Armory USA receiver.

Bud

+Vector
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:40:24 PM EST
for $500 you can get a WASR, a bunch of mags and a case of ammo. I did, and I'm happy. It' doesn't look as nice as the Arsenals, but shoots just as well, and my WASR doesn't have trigger slap, whereas the arsenal I shot...ouch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:25:21 PM EST
Get a VEPR or VECTOR.

I have heard good things about them. Or you get get a Norinco MAK-90 like me =)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:37:58 PM EST
My votes for the vector classic also. I love mine. Damn fine firearm for the money!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:12:16 PM EST
I've got a Norinco Mak 90 on the equipement exchange I'll sell you for 380 shipped.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:57:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bachelor_of_Science:

You'll thank me later.

Bud

+1. Go Arsenal if you can, but if you can't save the extra cash get a Vector. Arsenal's AKs are the best of the best, and to me it's worth an extra $200ish to have that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:54:45 PM EST
I'm in the same boat as King but I have a little more leeway in my price range. I found a guy selling a VEPR .308 for $725 FTF. It comes with 2 10 rd mags, 1 5 rd mag, thumbhole stock, bipods on the handguard and a russian scope/mount. He says it hasn't had more than 500 rds through it but who knows. I also found an Arsenal SLR-105 AK-74 for $429. I've heard nothing but good things about arsenal but the receiver on that one is stamped instead of milled. I dunno how much of a differance that makes. I know the price of 5.45 and 7.62 are getting closer and closer but I've never fired a 5.45. I hear they're more accurate but I'm pretty clueless about it. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:02:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By ARinKCMO:
for $500 you can get a WASR, a bunch of mags and a case of ammo. I did, and I'm happy. It' doesn't look as nice as the Arsenals, but shoots just as well, and my WASR doesn't have trigger slap, whereas the arsenal I shot...ouch.

For $500 you can not only get a WASR, a few mags, and a case of ammo (assuming you can find any, good luck with that) but also go to home depot and pick up a few things that with a little effort on your part will make the gun look NICE.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:13:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By artyboy:
I'm in the same boat as King but I have a little more leeway in my price range. I found a guy selling a VEPR .308 for $725 FTF. It comes with 2 10 rd mags, 1 5 rd mag, thumbhole stock, bipods on the handguard and a russian scope/mount. He says it hasn't had more than 500 rds through it but who knows. I also found an Arsenal SLR-105 AK-74 for $429. I've heard nothing but good things about arsenal but the receiver on that one is stamped instead of milled. I dunno how much of a differance that makes. I know the price of 5.45 and 7.62 are getting closer and closer but I've never fired a 5.45. I hear they're more accurate but I'm pretty clueless about it. Any other suggestions?

The Arsenal SLR-105 is the closest thing you will ever find to a REAL 74. I took mine out to the range today and I'll tell ya, it may be my favorite rifle. The 5.45 round is an absolute joy to shoot: extremely mild recoil (less than .223 IMO) and very accurate; you can easily engage targets out to 400/500 yards with 5.45, if you know what you're about. The 5.45 round is FAR more accurate than 7.62x39, downside is that it is a pain to find these days. Real Pain. Like I've been backed order on Sportsmans Guide for months......I can wait though, and the shortage will improve (hopefully).

As for stamped vs. milled receivers......a well made stamped rifle will outlive you, and your kids, and maybe even their kids. Remember, most all AKs have been stamped, and they are legendary for their toughness and reliability. The stamped receiver on the Arsenal SLR-105 does not make it a "lesser" Ak-74, in fact all 74s are stamped. So, in short, have full confidence that a Arsenal stamped receiver will serve you well.

I can't say enough good things about my 105, and I advise you to get one if you want one, as they have been discontinued. Only downside to the one you mentioned is that it is probably a neutered post-ban (judging by the price), so no flash hider or bayonet lug. You can always get it modified later.

Good Luck

MCO

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:08:40 AM EST
What about the deal on the VEPR? Do you guys have any feedback on that?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:23:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/14/2006 3:23:28 AM EST by MDN]
Get a Mak 90 .

In your price range and you can get a boatload of mags and some ammo stay under $500 .

You can always put a pg and buttstock on it or leave it alone.

If you wanted a .223 variant find a used SAR 3 . Mags will be a little more but the light recoil and depending on the availibility of 7.62 ammo in your area it might be a good choice.

Let us know what you decide .
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:59:44 AM EST
I own four AK type rifle's. All level's of "quality". It just don't matter, they're all good rifles!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:08:25 AM EST
I have a Vector Classic with the black poly furniture on order with East Coast Firearms. I have heard a lot of good things about the Vectors. I am anxious to see how it shoots when I get it.
Price is about $525.00 delivered to my gun shop that will do the transfer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:30:18 AM EST
I just ordered a Vector Classic Poly as well. It'll keep my Vepr company.

I too am anxious to see my new toy.

Sam
Top Top