Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2013 2:06:49 PM EDT
I have a Bulgy AK74 barrel less kit don't really want a 5.45 but would really like a 5.56 AK . Would this be a feasible project surely someone makes a barrel in 556 that will fit. I really wanted to pick up a saiga but looks like that's not going to happen now.

What say you
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Apex did have barrels that would work.  But they are out of them and the East German barrels too which needed lathe work.   I built 2 using the East German barrels.  One takes AR 15 magazines by using this adapter http://texasakdesigns.com/products-page/ak-rifle/ar2ku223-aksaiga/  
The other one I modded to use cheap promag magazines.  I suggest staying away from the promag idea.  I broke one of them on the first insertion.  Got a return number to use their supposed lifetime guarantee.  Sent in the broken magazine a month ago and haven't heard a damn thing from them.  There were 556 magazines out there that will work but hell it's hard to find regular ar and ak mags right now.  
The 545 bolt will work just as it is at least for my 2 it did.  I did build a spring loaded setup for the firing pin because I was getting slam fires with commercial 556 ammo.  I'm thinking about buying another of those adapters or building one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Pictures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I am doing one right now. I am using the 5.56 barrel from APEX which I believe is made by Curtis (not sure on that).  I ordered 5.56 mags (Arsenal clear mags).  I hand cycled it after head spacing and it seems to extract and eject fine.  The cartridge is a bit loose in the bolt face but I don't believe it will be an issue.

Tough part will be finding the barrel.. mine is not chrome lined and I'm ok with that.  It's a fair tradoff for a 5.56 AK considering the current situation.

Link Posted: 1/7/2013 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I to would like to build a AK in .223
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck.  I got my two AK74 parts kits for $180 a month ago.  Now they are $400 and barrels are nearly impossible to find in 5.56.

You may want to reconsider and buy a 5.45 barrel and a case of ammo.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Why oh why didn't I buy a 223 saiga when I had the chance and for $300
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a parts kit for $200 a couple weeks ago and have a receiver reserved at NoDak.  Put up a WTB 5.56 barrel add in the EE and someone finally bit.  Going to have Troy at In Range, Inc handle my build for me.  It bothers me how the industry is ceasing the manufacture of 5.56 AK parts.... APEX doesn't plan on making the barrels anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got a parts kit for $200 a couple weeks ago and have a receiver reserved at NoDak.  Put up a WTB 5.56 barrel add in the EE and someone finally bit.  Going to have Troy at In Range, Inc handle my build for me.  It bothers me how the industry is ceasing the manufacture of 5.56 AK parts.... APEX doesn't plan on making the barrels anymore.

I think this is just playing it safe on their part. If building AK's is suddenly illegal, then those barrels are not worth much .. either that or there was just a limited supply of them.

A couple of months ago I had eight AK74 kits on my cart at $179 each, with 8 barrels. My logical side talked me out of it.  Wow I wish I'd followed my gut on that one.

Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow I wish I'd followed my gut on that one.

That's a tough one, my friend.  This whole thing is probably going to die down soon and everyone in debt will need buyers for their panic purchases.  I'm hoping, at least.

Just received my 74 kit in the mail.  Just sent off money for a 5.56 barrel on Monday... Waiting for NoDak to call me so I can pay them and get my receiver on its way..... Which I hope is soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I finished mine... the plum one is in 5.56 and the other in 5.45.   I need to repaint the bottom one.. 500 degree paint does not work well. I used 1500 degree paint on the top one and baked it, and it seems ok.  Have not gotten to test fire the 5.56 ak yet, so I have no idea if the gas port is sized right or not.  I'm hoping I won't need to press the gas block off... but I only pressed in one pin just in case.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Awhile back I posted a similar thread in the Krink forum- something to the effect of I have a 5.56 krink kit, what do I need to change calibers to 5.45?  

Basically I was told change the bolt, barrel, and a few other parts.

Still got the kit, haven't done anything to it.  Maybe I'll keep it in 5.56
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I would keep it in 5.56.... no real benefit in going the other direction at this point
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would keep it in 5.56.... no real benefit in going the other direction at this point

Agreed.  5.45 inside CONUS is drying up like Rosanne's crotch.

Glad to hear your 5.56 is built and ready for testing.  I hope it works!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top