Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/5/2006 2:49:51 PM EDT
ok, well this has been on my mind for quite some time. what are the legal boundaries from bringing magazines back into the US? is there a limit to what i can bring back without having to get some sort of permit? just curious because i might be going out of the country sometime soon and wanted to bring back some magazines, most likely not to sell. would that be a major part of it, intending to sell them?

any thoughts or links to definate regulations (couldnt find anything on the ATF's website, surprise surprise ) would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:12:59 PM EDT
One can bring back $100 worth of stuff without problems (just be ready for customs agents that dont know what they are talking about)...

Just remember that it should be reasonable numbers... A pouch full would be ok, but expect problems for a suitcase full, even if they were only $1 each..

Also remember that they might cause problems when you leave. Some countries, magazines might be a controlled item, or require some sort of export permission.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:12:36 AM EDT
You might have better luck contacting the State Dept, I'd think. Or call the ATF (I've done it once, and lived through the experience) and ask who you need to talk to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:17:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stottman:
One can bring back $100 worth of stuff without problems (just be ready for customs agents that dont know what they are talking about)...

That's not the whole story. You can bring less than $100 in parts, but only if they are designed for a semiautomatic firearm and are not receivers, barrels or bolts.

AK mags will not qualify since they are a machinegun part (yes, I know they are intended for use in a semiauto).

Therefore, the only legal way to import is using an approved Form 6.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:59:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen:

That's not the whole story. You can bring less than $100 in parts, but only if they are designed for a semiautomatic firearm and are not receivers, barrels or bolts.

AK mags will not qualify since they are a machinegun part (yes, I know they are intended for use in a semiauto).

By that logic, any military gun parts fall into this same catagory...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:46:22 PM EDT

By that logic, any military gun parts fall into this same catagory...

SKS parts would be ok. right?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:26:24 PM EDT
I don't know how the State Dept or ATF views SKS parts -- but AK parts are viewed as being machinegun parts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:57:40 AM EDT
"By that logic, any military gun parts fall into this same catagory..."

- no, not in that category would be military handgun parts, military bolt action parts, etc. There are plenty of military guns that NEVER had a machinegun counterpart.

Unfortunately, the AK-47 IS a machinegun - and, it just so happens that there is a semi-auto version which shares some parts (incl. magazines). Could you bring in 10 round WASR single stack mags under $100? Probably. But not AK-47 machinegun magazines. The mags you want to import = machinegun magazines; i.e., Form 6 required. Your "intent" for thier use is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:29:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CBR900:
"By that logic, any military gun parts fall into this same catagory..."

- no, not in that category would be military handgun parts, military bolt action parts, etc. There are plenty of military guns that NEVER had a machinegun counterpart.

Unfortunately, the AK-47 IS a machinegun - and, it just so happens that there is a semi-auto version which shares some parts (incl. magazines). Could you bring in 10 round WASR single stack mags under $100? Probably. But not AK-47 machinegun magazines. The mags you want to import = machinegun magazines; i.e., Form 6 required. Your "intent" for thier use is irrelevant.

Well, that runs opposite of my dealings with the ATF; I have had no problems with multiple form 6 Pt IIs (import permit for GIs overseas) for Ak parts and magazines; If they considered them to be MG only parts, then they would have been disapproved; They disapproved my application for a PK parts kit and tripod for this very reason.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:50:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 5:51:25 AM EDT by Phil_A_Steen]
MG parts are perfectly legal to import with the exception of machinegun receivers and as of recently, barrels. The only caveat is that it must be pursuant to an approved Form 6. Same with tripods and military optics.

The only grounds for denying import of a PK parts kit is that it had a barrel or receiver. If that wasn't the reason, you should appeal the decision.

ETA: Or it could have been you tried to bring it in from a country that's on the restricted list. Where were you importing from?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 5:52:36 AM EDT by Stottman]

MG parts are perfectly legal to import with the exception of machinegun receivers and as of recently, barrels. The only caveat is that it must be pursuant to an approved Form 6. Same with tripods and military optics.

The only grounds for denying import of a PK parts kit is that it had a barrel or receiver. If that wasn't the reason, you should appeal the decision.

ETA: Or it could have been you tried to bring it in from a country that's on the restricted list. Where were you importing from?

Form 6 pt IIs are different.. I am a non-licencee.. Cannot import C&Rs either. Can import sporting firearms and parts all day long, provided its not for resale and only 1 or 2.

Kit had no barrel or receiver, and was Bulgarian.. Coming from Germany; Reason given was that it was MG parts and that I was a non-licencee.. Said I would have to go through an importer..

And as I have found, trying to talk to the ATF import branch is an effort in futility..People that you talk to on the phone are rude immigrants that speak ebonics... Send any import permit in, and they will disapprove it the first time for some stupid reason.. I had an RPG75 launcher (Czech LAW tube) come back because it was "Non sporting firearm"..... WTF? I have the letter from the import branch saying it was ok as an IOW.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:30:05 AM EDT
Stottman, I missed that detail. You're of course correct, you must be a licensed importer to import MG parts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:03:06 PM EDT
Look for Chinese stamped AK mags.

Those Chinese mags that are stamped side and are fairly uncommon here have no relief cut for the automatic trigger group of a full-auto AK, so they will not work in a AK-47 machine gun, only in semi-automatic weapons. Thus, those can be imported.

Also, look for SAIGA 7.62x39mm 30round mags. Original Russian mags go for $100 and up here, so you could bring some in, sell them for $80 and then use that money to buy rare AK mags.

I have no clue what country you are going to so I can't say much else.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:18:23 PM EDT
well maybe this detail will make a difference, but this all sprouted from the possibility of me going to finland for vacation and i was curious if i could bring back a few of the 5.56 Valmet mags since i was hoping to get one of those sooner or later. we all know how much those mags go for here so i was curious if i could get by with picking up a few at the source and bring them home. i do know that the military Valmets are all in 7.62 but i do not know about the specifics of if the Valmet 71/76 or whatever and if there are auto versions. would that even make a difference if it didnt? or is the fact that it is an AK-type weapon cut off all possibility?

thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it (even if it aint the answer i wanted to hear )
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pol_pot_47:
well maybe this detail will make a difference, but this all sprouted from the possibility of me going to finland for vacation and i was curious if i could bring back a few of the 5.56 Valmet mags since i was hoping to get one of those sooner or later. we all know how much those mags go for here so i was curious if i could get by with picking up a few at the source and bring them home. i do know that the military Valmets are all in 7.62 but i do not know about the specifics of if the Valmet 71/76 or whatever and if there are auto versions. would that even make a difference if it didnt? or is the fact that it is an AK-type weapon cut off all possibility?

thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it (even if it aint the answer i wanted to hear )

Good luck finding them in Finland.. You have Finns looking for the mags in the USA....
Top Top