Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 1:25:18 PM EDT
Having read a fairly glowing review of the book "The AK-47" by McNab on another like-minded forum, I purchased a copy at my local Borders Books.  The overall review I read gave it 4 stars and was very positive.  My take is that it has very little useful information if what you want is an insightful Operator's Handbook.

First major gripe, which was identified in the other review but is wayyy worse than expected, is the wildly inflated hype about the spread of AKs and their destabilizing effect on third world countries.  It is really quite breathless, you would think we were talking about thermonuclear devices or something, not small arms.  It is especially overwrought considering that the spread of AKs is not particularly destabilizing, ie any more so than the wide circulation of M-16s, etc.  

Second is the complete lack of useful information about operation.  Some passages, like for instance the convoluted description of the lack of a bolt hold-open feature, led me to wonder if the author ever really fired an AK, or whether he just relied upon published material.  

Just my opinion, no commercial interest one way or the other, best regards to the group,

Tim
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno about destabilizing, but I think the AK has had a remarkable impact on history.  I've heard it said that "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal".  I'd say more accurately it was M. Kalashnikov.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta agree with winston on that one.

If the AK hadn't been introduced into so many third world countries, a lot of them would still be fighting with Lee-Enfields or nagants or some such single shot, low mag capacity some such.

The AK definately leveled the playing field in a lot of respects.

The proliferation of the M16 is really not comparable IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the definitive AK book?  I need some reading material..more interested in obscure variants and history than any kinda 'operators manual'.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the definitive AK book?  I need some reading material..more interested in obscure variants and history than any kinda 'operators manual'.

take care,
Tec

Kalashnikov, the Arms and the Man by Edward Ezell and Blake Stevens, from Collector Grade Books.

It's THE AK source book, and has excellent background info on Russian small arms design.

In my sometimes not so humble opinion, there is not currently out there a book on AKs that I would call "THE" book, but Templar mentions one of the best. Get that one and the Masami Tokoi color picture book AK-47 & Kalashnikov Variation, and you will be ahead of the game.

-C
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The proliferation of the M16 is really not comparable IMHO.

Rolls Royce vs Model T.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I was rather impressed by the level of detail found in "The AK-47 and AK-74 Kalashnikov Rifles and Their Variations" by Joe Poyer.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top