Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2008 6:30:42 PM EDT
I disassembly my AR bolts after every range trip.  How about an AK bolt?  Any links w / pics on dissasembly?
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Full translated Sov armorer's manual here: www.box.net/shared/cu2djae1zb

Manual basically says to break down the bolt when your unit armorer tells you to do so. Since you're not in the Soviet Army, you get to decide when your bolt is dirty enough to need cleaning of the extractor and firing pin. I probably do mine every 3 months or so.

BSW
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I did notice that an AK bolt does not get near as dirty as a DI AR bolt!  And shooting Wolf, the chamber looked very clean after a couple of hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I did notice that an AK bolt does not get near as dirty as a DI AR bolt!  And shooting Wolf, the chamber looked very clean after a couple of hundred rounds.

DI AR bolt?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DI AR bolt?

Direct Impingement AR bolt, as opposed to a gas piston AR bolt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DI AR bolt?

Direct Impingement AR bolt, as opposed to a gas piston AR bolt.

Ah.  so a fancyschmancypantsy way of saying "normal".  
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Step by step video on youtube

That video is no longer available, but this one is:

[Disassembly of bolt]

He dosen't say if the firing pin and / or extractor can be assembled upside down though.  Looks to me like they can though because of the ridges where the pins hold them in place?

[link edited]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Step by step video on youtube

That video is no longer available, but this one is:

[Disassembly of bolt]

He dosen't say if the firing pin and / or extractor can be assembled upside down though.  Looks to me like they can though because of the ridges where the pins hold them in place?

[link edited]

Nope, the firing pin and extractor only fit in one way: If it requires force to install you're probably doing it wrong. Shake the bolt after you install the firing pin retaining pin to ensure it's in place. The FP should move freely back and forth w/o falling out. The extractor is a little more obvious, it'll fall out if you don't get it right.

BSW
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
had a typo - should've been "Looks to me like they can't though because of the ridges where the pins hold them in place?"

Thanks BSW.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top