Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 5:34:53 AM EDT
I'd like to put a muzzle brake on my Maadi to reduce recoil the most, and was curious if the AK-74 style was the best, of if there were better ones on the market.

Also, it appears that my Maadi had a threaded barrel which was ground down, so am I reserved to using a pin on threaded adapter maybe welded to the barrel as well?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
in the realm of military muzzle devices, the genuine, commie manufactured ak-74 device stands haead and shoulders above the rest in its' efficiency at reducing felt recoil.

designed as a combo device (bayonet ring mount, flash divirter, muzzle rise compensator and recoil check), the ak-74 brake is designed around the high velocity gas fluid dynamics of the 5.45 x 39.5 round.

and therein lies the rub...it loses efficiency would the gas volume/velocity of the 7.62 x 39 round is applied. also, the exit holes must be opened up to clear the larger .30 cal round.

That doesn't mean it doesn't do anything though correct? It still does something just not as much as it does when used on a 5.45 rifle?

I see the Russians still produce an AK103 with the '74 style brake on it.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good info... I wasn't aware that the design was specific to the faster/lighter 5.45 round, but that makes perfect sense, and probably also why you see the Bushmaster-AK series of rifles where they fit an AK-74 style brake on their ar-15 rifles.

I checked out Dyna Systems (www.dynasystems-ltd.com) and they have a brake called a Master Blaster, which claims the best performance against muzzle flip, plus it looks pretty cool, but expensive as well.  Looks like they are custom made.

Anyway, not to request legal advice or anything, but when a post ban has had the original threads ground down, isn't it best to use a threaded adapter, and weld it in place or just weld the brake directly to the barrel?  Assuming one has enough US parts etc.

Here's a pic to the my project Maadi, with RSA trigger FCG & K-Var OD stock set.  Added a mojo peep sight, and a holosight, which seems to hold the zero well given the reciever cover mount.

Maadi pic
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
so for you people who fear to tread... do I weld a  threaded muzzle attachment or what?  I have been very careful to be legal so far.. and woud use a usa brake, but you more senior people already know the drill, so just tell me straight up if you can...

my rifle is my responsibilitly, not yours

just so I am clear

Thanks,
Brent

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go to ak-103.com, spend $50.50 on the muzzle adaptor and brake. Get it parked and painted first (comes nekkid). After finessing the adaptor on your bbl and truing up the brake, wire wheel the area around the front sight base, weld. Refinish the area around the weld. Enjoy a part that is US made, quite true to the commie design except for being 7.62, relax knowing that you only need to dremel around the FSB if it rusts out from blasting abuse.

My choice other than Alumahyde not being the best first choice in finish..  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Those DynaSystems brakes look like they require their threaded adapters.

All good, but doesn't welding an adapter to a barrel to allow you to add/remove threaded muzzle attachments make it now a threaded barrel?

The type on the site seems to essentially say "since threaded barrels are illegal, permamently attach this threaded adapter to the barrel, and now you can enjoy threaded muzzle attachments without having to weld them on."

Please correct me if I'm misconstruing things, but I would think that this is not the most legit - it's skirting the "no threaded barrels" deal, or so it seems to me.

Or is it legal simply because the law says "hey, no threaded barrels" and doesn't explicitly say you can't weld an adapter that provides the same benefit as a threaded barrel onto your rifle?

Forgive my nitpicking - these are very interesting, and I really don't like the idea of having to weld/solder/pin my brakes on my AK-74, but I'm not willing to give up the hi-cap magazines or the pistol grip to keep the brake non-permanent attach...this product(s) seems to be a way around that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback folks... I wish complying with the law was an easier endeavor, but sounds as though my thinking is on the right track...

Maybe things will be clearer if the 94 ban sunsets, then again, maybe it will be even more confusing:)

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top