Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:45:28 PM EDT
On one of my Romy kits I had drilled out the barrel pin and while doing so I got off track.  It made the hole a little wider in the trunnion and barrel.  I'm sure someone else has made this mistake in the past and was hoping to see if I could substitute the barrel pin with some type of fabricated pin to feel in the extra space?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Some guys have used drill rod to make oversized barrel pins.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
so basically if I can find something that will wedge in there tight, it should be okay?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You will probably want the hole to be a couple of thousandths smaller than your new pin.  Use decent steel, like a drill rod, or even the shank of a drill that you already have.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to McMaster, MSC or your favorite industrial supplier and look for some 7mm drill rod.  I think 4 feet was a few bucks.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
my hole turned out more like an oval.  In fact it almost looks like the shape of an 8.  What happened was I didn't have a press.  I drilled one end, then started on the other.  Well, you can guess the rest.  I have one perfect hole 7mm with a 2 - 3 mm hole extending out the side.  I can slip in one 7mm pin and something else to fill in the rest.  And yes, I have invested into a drill press now
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
my hole turned out more like an oval.  In fact it almost looks like the shape of an 8.  What happened was I didn't have a press.  I drilled one end, then started on the other.  Well, you can guess the rest.  I have one perfect hole 7mm with a 2 - 3 mm hole extending out the side.  I can slip in one 7mm pin and something else to fill in the rest.  And yes, I have invested into a drill press now

It sounds like you may have the makings of a fine dummy gun.  The only way I would use that rifle is if I had a nice round precise hole milled/drilled then used a slightly oversized pin.  One thing I don't take chances on is headspace.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Or drill out the egged side, and bush it to 7mm.. I think I have some 7mm rod laying around here.

BTW:  If it is unfixable, I might be interested in whats left, I have been looking for a rebarrel project (I would set the headspace during the barrel fitting process.

Matt

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll let you know.  I'm going to play around with it for a while and see what I can do.  If anything Iwill part it out to sale.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
im with dale dummygun

you cant drill the pin oversided much
when the pin size gos up you lose meat on your barrel
and its already the weakest part of the barrel with the most pressure
take off to much and you turn a gun into a bomb

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell the various parts individually on the EE and buy another kit. It's not worth that headache to save an $89 Romy kit you can part out for about the same $$.

Trigger guard w/selector stop $10
Bolt carrier $20
Bolt $15
Stock set (4pc) $20-$25
Rear sight $8
Rear stock tang (AKA trunion)$10
FCG $5
Cleaning rod $8
Safety selector $3
Gas tube $5-$8

Mangled barrel/trunion assembly $15

Not fucking with that pain in the ass you've created...

Priceless
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sell the various parts individually on the EE and buy another kit. It's not worth that headache to save an $89 Romy kit you can part out for about the same $$.

Trigger guard w/selector stop $10
Bolt carrier $20
Bolt $15
Stock set (4pc) $20-$25
Rear sight $8
Rear stock tang (AKA trunion)$10
FCG $5
Cleaning rod $8
Safety selector $3
Gas tube $5-$8

Mangled barrel/trunion assembly $15

Not fucking with that pain in the ass you've created...

Priceless

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll be parting out soon.  Also may have a cold steel receiver (just received) to sell also.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top