Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/22/2004 4:49:55 PM EST
Hello

This is my first kit build. I have been able to remove all the rivets in the rear trunion and two in the front trunion but decided to remove the barrel before removing the other four and I can not get the barrel pin the move. I have used 12ton press no luck and then tried 20 ton press at work today and still no luck. I also tried using alittle heat but did not know how much heat I should use ?
Does anyone have any ideas ???

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:41:25 PM EST
what kind of rifle are you working with???
i do know that the AMD pins are a super pain to remove.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:46:29 AM EST
To remove the barrel pin from my AMD-65 build, I made a hook shaped support that sits in the 'pocket' to provide support between the trunnion and pressplate. This keeps the trunnion stable durring the press.

Next, I used an oversized (larger than the pin) and very sturdy flat tipped punch to press the pin out, just a little, making it flush on the top side. Made a nice 'CRACK!' sound breaking free. Next was a smaller center punch to press the pin out further, and just enough to align the pin into one of the pressplate holes. When the pin was about 1/3 through, a 1/4" grade 8 bolt was used to complete the press job. Took almost all the 12 ton press had to press that sucker out.

Keep at it...it'll come out.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:01:07 PM EST
i used a vice a socket with a alen head in it and a large socket on other side for support on my amd was alittle tuff to get it started but after it got alittle movement it came out fairly easy
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:33:06 PM EST
Hello

thanks for all the replies I have tried every ones ideas and still have had no luck getting the pin out today I heat the trunion up and used the press again and nothing happen I have rear were a guy has used air hammer with flat chisel/punch bit on it thinking about doing that monday just wondering how hard it would be to keep the flat chisel/punch on the pin when it starts hammering ??

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:52:06 PM EST
sell the kit to some1 doing a bolt build
and get another 1 for the price of the kit it isnt worth the pain its causin
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:52:10 PM EST
My 12 ton press bent the grade 2 bolt, then the grade 5 bolt,but finally gave way to the grade 8 1/4 bolt. It seems like it was easier going left to right on removal but maybe it was just me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:13:43 AM EST
It also helps to use the shortest ram you can to get these bastards started. The shorter the ram, the stiffer it will be. I can't tell you how many I bent trying to get my AMD pin out. I ended up cutting a 1/4" piece off a hardened punch and finally got it that way.
Top Top