Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/22/2004 5:49:55 PM EDT
Hello

This is my first kit build. I have been able to remove all the rivets in the rear trunion and two in the front trunion but decided to remove the barrel before removing the other four and I can not get the barrel pin the move. I have used 12ton press no luck and then tried 20 ton press at work today and still no luck. I also  tried using alittle heat but did not know how much heat I should use ?
Does anyone have any ideas ???

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of rifle are you working with???
i do know that the AMD pins are a super pain to remove.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
To remove the barrel pin from my AMD-65 build, I made a hook shaped support that sits in the 'pocket' to provide support between the trunnion and pressplate.  This keeps the trunnion stable durring the press.

Next, I used an oversized (larger than the pin) and very sturdy flat tipped punch to press the pin out, just a little, making it flush on the top side.  Made a nice 'CRACK!' sound breaking free.  Next was a smaller center punch to press the pin out further, and just enough to align the pin into one of the pressplate holes.  When the pin was about 1/3 through, a 1/4" grade 8 bolt was used to complete the press job.  Took almost all the 12 ton press had to press that sucker out.

Keep at it...it'll come out.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
i used a vice a socket with a alen head in it and a large socket on other side for support  on my amd was alittle tuff to get it started but after it got alittle movement it came out fairly easy
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello

thanks for all the replies I have tried every ones ideas and still have had no luck getting the pin out today I heat the trunion up and used the press again and nothing happen I have rear were a guy has used air hammer with flat chisel/punch bit on it thinking about doing that monday just wondering how hard it would be to keep the flat chisel/punch on the pin when it starts hammering ??

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
sell the kit to some1 doing a bolt build
and get another 1 for the price of the kit it isnt worth the pain its causin
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My 12 ton press bent the grade 2 bolt, then the grade 5 bolt,but finally gave way to the grade 8 1/4 bolt. It seems like it was easier going left to right on removal but maybe it was just me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
It also helps to use the shortest ram you can to get these bastards started.  The shorter the ram, the stiffer it will be.  I can't tell you how many I bent trying to get my AMD pin out.  I ended up cutting a 1/4" piece off a hardened punch and finally got it that way.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top