Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:26:27 PM EST
This rifle has been sitting in the safe for awhile. I tried getting the stock off this week (next to impossible). After I did that, I was trying out some bakelite mags. I couldn't get them to lock in place. The locap mags lock in just fine. Doesn't matter if they're loaded or unloaded, or if the rifle is assembled or stripped. They just won't lock in.

So I took out the dremel trying to figure out why the mags weren't locking in. Finally got it to fit after shaving off the upper back potion of the mag a little bit. Did some crude measurements and the bakelites are slightly wider front to back than the 10 rounders.

Trying to find out why this would cause a problem, I discovered this:

The problem rifle (on the left) seems to have a bar (right where the back of the mag touches) that's misaligned slightly. From what I see, it's slightly angled up at the right. The same bar on the rifle to the right is straight and slightly farther back.

Two questions:
1. What is this piece of metal called? I couldn't find a parts diagram with it online?
2. What do you recommend? Can the rifle survive if I shave a little off this bar with a dremel? I don't want to do the WESCOG thing and break the rifle, but I also don't want to spend a bunch of money trying to fix this.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:33:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 5:37:00 PM EST by ru4freedom]
When I got my SAR-2 no mag I tried fit.., I think this is a pretty common problem..., shave part of the mags that contact this "bar" ..., I myself did not modify the rifle!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:46:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By ru4freedom:
When I got my SAR-2 no mag I tried fit.., I think this is a pretty common problem..., shave part of the mags that contact this "bar" ..., I myself did not modify the rifle!!

The problem is the mag is an extremely snug fit when I do this - It's almost impossible to remove once it's in place. Plus I'd rather have a rifle that could work with any ak74 mag without modification beforehand.

I did a little futher crude measuring and found that in fact that bar / pin is out of position on the right hand side - it's about 1/32 to 1/16th more forward than the same part on the good rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:47:48 PM EST
That is the receiver cross brace. I guess I'm lucky. I do not have problems using any mags in my SAR-2.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:49:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 5:50:57 PM EST by bastiat]

Originally Posted By Raptor22:
That is the receiver cross brace. I guess I'm lucky. I do not have problems using any mags in my SAR-2.

Darn, that sounds kind of important.

I thought I tested out the mags for fit in both rifles when I got them. I guess not!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:06:55 PM EST
Mine is the same way, just filed the mags to fit. Black Bulgarians worked fine with no mod..
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:42:51 PM EST
That is the called the center support. It is supposed to be flat an the side that goes to the mag. File or dremel(carefully) until the mags insert and remove with no interference.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:57:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 8:58:30 PM EST by AR-15Fan]
Yeah, the front face of the center support is supposed to be flat to allow some clearance for the mags (maybe it is and we just can't tell from the photos). Both my SAR1 and 2 have plenty of clearance... I would grind the support some if it's only a little that needs to be removed, I wouldn't want to have to use modded mags all the time...

It's a hollow tube with a single rivet all the way through it. I would think you'd be fine to grind on it quite a bit before screwing something it...

That's a fairly big issue, bummer
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:21:32 PM EST
yes, it is flat on the same side as the other rifle. It's hard to tell from the angle, but I wanted to get as straight an overhead shot as I could so I could do an overlay in photoshop to compare the two.

The only difference is the angle of the center support. On the good rifle, it's 90 degrees, on the bad rifle, it's about 89 degrees. It's very hard to tell just by looking at it in person though.

Looks like it's going to be a dremel weekend. Hopefully I can just shave a little off in the middle where the mag rubs up against the support. I really don't want to have to mod all my mags for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By tangeant:
Mine is the same way, just filed the mags to fit. Black Bulgarians worked fine with no mod..

Ha, my SAR-2 is opposite of you guys; it loves the bakelites but the Bulgarians have the same issues you all mention. Crazy Romanians.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:50:39 AM EST
My SAR-2 LOVES the EG bakelites also. I shaved the rear locking tabs on my bulgarian mags, just a hair, and they work flawlessly. I have some modified EG from RPB, if anyone wants to trade, they function well, but are a little loose IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:23:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:31:27 PM EST
well, I did the WESCOG thing today. I couldn't get it to budge with the hammer, so I had to rely on the dremel and file method.

I'm not sure if I hit the rivet or not. There still was problems with mags fitting and I kept filing away and think I got to a little black metal inside. Didn't seem like it had any open space around it - is the rivet completely snug with the tube?

Beaten by the romanians, I ended up filing down the mags. In addition to the back, I also had to take off some of the shelf on the lips on the mags. The steel mags had bigger cutout than the bakelites, so I basically tried to match them up.

Oh well. Hope fully it will still work. I had planned on refinishing this rifle with gunkote or duracoat once I got some better gunsmithing tools, so maybe I'll just do a little more work and fix this while I'm doing the job.
Top Top