Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 1:19:37 PM EDT
I want to put the correct style handguards on my saiga conversions I have built many kits and done a lot of  work with firearms and I am looking for some feedback about removing the gas block and front sight from my saigas to get the handguard retainers on.  Anyone have any tricks to getting them off before I start?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
For what its worth, you can always just split the retainer, save the hassle of pressing them off.
Thats what I did, because I didnt have a press....just a thought
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
good Idea
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine worked out ok. I removed the little lever at top, carefully cut it down with a dremel to just past the bottom of the cleaning rod hole.  Dont cut completly in half !!!

Carefully pryed it open and slipped it on. Reattached with a screw and nut thru the top hole.
It fits tight ,no play. You will have to notch the top of the barrel to allow the screw to pass thru, used a round file for that.

Took about 30 minutes. I may go back and fill the cut with a little JB weld and repaint it just for looks.
Someday I'll get acess to a press and do it right, but it works for now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Im looking to do this also,if you pull the barrel will the retainer go over the chamber side or do you have to take off the front site and gas block?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I do know the chmber side will be too thick I am going to try the split method.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I put handguards on my Saiga.  Just press off the gas block and front sight base, slide the handguard retainer over the barrel and re-install a new gas block and front sight base.  Then you just need to dremel or file a small, semi-circular groove on the top of the barrel for the handguard retainer to tighten onto.  It sounds harder than it is.  Don't fool with trying to take the barrel out, besides it is too large a diameter from the receiver end for the HG retainer to fit.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing Hartz did. To do it right the FSB and GB has to come off.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mine worked out ok. I removed the little lever at top, carefully cut it down with a dremel to just past the bottom of the cleaning rod hole.  Dont cut completly in half !!!

Carefully pryed it open and slipped it on. Reattached with a screw and nut thru the top hole.
It fits tight ,no play. You will have to notch the top of the barrel to allow the screw to pass thru, used a round file for that.

Took about 30 minutes. I may go back and fill the cut with a little JB weld and repaint it just for looks.
Someday I'll get acess to a press and do it right, but it works for now.

I'd love to see a pic. I am about to attempt the conversion myself.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top