Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:22 PM EDT
another member and I were trying to swap out buttstocks on a AK-USA custom 74.  We tried everything to push this thing out.  Got a rod, tried hitting the back of the rod with a hammer, to push the stock out, and nothing.  He sold me the AK, took the one out of his without a hitch, this one wouldn't budge no matter what we tried.

and yes....we did remove the 2 screws.

what can we possibly try to get this thing out?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have had that problem. I finally got the thing knocked out with a big brass drift, and a five ound drilling hammer. Needles to say the stock tenon was a little beat but usable. I sanded it down a little before I re-installed it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
sometimes it takes two people, some Kroil, and a little gentle twisting while pulling
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
use a rubber mallet and tap on the end until it starts working it's way out, tap on the top rear of the stock then tap on the bottom rear of the stock, also try tapping on the side of the buttstock near the buttplate, it causes the stock to "wiggle" out and work it's way out. be very careful so you dont damage the stock, you could even wrap some paper on it to prevent it from getting scuffed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
use a rubber mallet and tap on the end until it starts working it's way out, tap on the top rear of the stock then tap on the bottom rear of the stock, also try tapping on the side of the buttstock near the buttplate, it causes the stock to "wiggle" out and work it's way out. be very careful so you dont damage the stock, you could even wrap some paper on it to prevent it from getting scuffed.

Same method I use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Dont forget to cuss at the some bitch to!!!! I dont know if it helps but they seem to start to move a little when I start to cuss a little....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
thank you for all of the replies and advice.

we've cussed a little so far, but I guess not enough,

will keep ya updated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The DienBienPhu54 method is the way to go. Just wrap some cloth around the rear of the butt and hold it in place with a rubber band to avoid marring. Takes patience, but always works. Hit top, then side, then bottom, then other side then keep repeating till you're so bored you don't even know what you're doing. Eventually, you'll see movement.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
would heating the receiver where the stock sits do anything to loosen it?  Was thinking heating it with a hair dryer for a few minutes, to expand the metal a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dont forget to cuss at the some bitch to!!!! I dont know if it helps but they seem to start to move a little when I start to cuss a little....

ROTFLMAO! I did the same thing when changing to my plums set. It worked! I can cuss with the best of them too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Take a long rod or bolt and a hammer and beat the SOB out ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

when you say end you mean end that goes against your shoulder right?

still been trying, don't have a rubber mallet though, wonder if I can get one from WallyWorld tonight?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top