Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
 I had to work a lot faster than when i used liquid nitrogen but i still did it.
 I finished up my Romy receiver and was antsy to put the barrel in.  I didnt want to go get dry ice so decided to try with what i had in the garage.  I had a 1 pound can of r134a freon.  I took the can and poked a small hole in the top (about the size of 1/16 drill) with a awl and immidiatly tipped it upside down in a styrofoam cup to let it pour out.  (too large a hole and it will come out too fast and fly all over)  I then heated the trunnion with a propane torch to about 300F  while i had the barrel end boiling in the freon.   After the boiling stopped (indicating i met the lowest temp i could get) i slipped it right in... Again!   Well i had to work a lot faster because it locked up in about 7 seconds.
 Now this tells me the dry ice idea i told you all wil work like a charm because dry ice/alcohol mixture is a lot colder than 134a freon.  134a boils at -15f
 So for those of you who want to try this, just take some 220 emery and polish up the barrel of bit to remove any burrs, finger a bit of emery in the trunnion hole, and go down to the auto parts store to pick up a few cans of freon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the same thing to my G43 back in Dec of 2003.

The Dry ice/alchol mixture is what I used too, I used and industrial Heatgun on the reciever. for fear of damaging the reciever by using Flame heat.

I'm glad you pulled it off using Freon. I'd think that Dry ice/alchol would be cheaper though.

Congrats,
Jason
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
that's a great idea but... when 134a went through the roof last year I stocked up.it is like liquid gold around here. I took a recovery cylinder and coiled a 1/8" copper tube between my 30lb. cyl and my recovery cyl. I used some 404a it is alot colder(used in some freezers that I service) this way I can keep re-using the same refrigerant in my copper coil. it takes about 5 seconds to chill the barrel so it slides right in. after I dig it back out I'll post a few pics. A/C season is just around the corner . I do like the dry ice idea!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
wow, i didnt know it went up that much.  I had a dozen cans in the garage i bought 2 summers ago for dirt cheap.  But hey, it was cheaper than driving 50 miles round trip to get the dry ice and i wanted it NOW! LOL.    It wouldnt have been that expensive if i hadent punched to big of a hole in the first can and lost grip of it ... it scurried across the garage floor and by the time i got to it ... empty  lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:24:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
last year I was paying about $65 for a 30lb cyl. when I stocked up in august it was around $300 for a 30lb cyl. the supply house told me a plant blew up somewhere.R22 went up also.but not as drastic. also 134a wont harm the ozone...but I wouldn't off it anyway
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you buy at the auto parts store you might want to get the stuff without the dye leak detector, that stuff is nasty!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont know what you guys are getting for 134a but i just checked and found it for 3 bucks a pound!!!
 Hell i can still get 1lb cans for 5 bucks on ebay all day long.  30 pound cans for 120 bucks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top