Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:04:49 PM EDT
I've made a deal with RMZ in the classifieds here and will soon be the owner of a 2004 production Arsenal SA M-7.  It is in post-ban config with a non-threaded barrel and no lug.  Not so concerned with the lug, but I would like to thread the barrel.  Is this something that I can do myself, or should I send it out?

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends which model ban era SAM7 you are buying.

The normal ones have threaded barrels, but they also have a muzzle brake that is pinned on.  So if you grind out the weld over the pin and remove the brake, you will have a threaded barrel.

The SAM7 carbine doesn't have threads.  I'm not sure, but it looks like they are military barrels that just had the threads turned down on a lathe.  So the standard 14x1mm threads won't work since the barrel will be too thin.  You'll have to use a non-standard for AK thread pitch for this barrel.

A lot of guys have threaded their own barrels.  Just make sure you use at thread alignment tool to ensure you don't accidentally thread it at a screwed up angle or something.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks much for the info.  It does not have a break and looking at the pictures it appears that the barrel is the same diameter after the fsb.  I'll have to take a look after it gets here and see what's going on.  I saw there was a company that was making AK pattern muzzle devices for 1/2-28 threads for barrels that have been turned down to get rid of the original threads.  Worst case it looks like I'll have to go that way.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top