Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:04:49 PM EDT
I've made a deal with RMZ in the classifieds here and will soon be the owner of a 2004 production Arsenal SA M-7. It is in post-ban config with a non-threaded barrel and no lug. Not so concerned with the lug, but I would like to thread the barrel. Is this something that I can do myself, or should I send it out?

Thanks much!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2010 6:17:31 AM EDT by dskeet]
It depends which model ban era SAM7 you are buying.

The normal ones have threaded barrels, but they also have a muzzle brake that is pinned on. So if you grind out the weld over the pin and remove the brake, you will have a threaded barrel.

The SAM7 carbine doesn't have threads. I'm not sure, but it looks like they are military barrels that just had the threads turned down on a lathe. So the standard 14x1mm threads won't work since the barrel will be too thin. You'll have to use a non-standard for AK thread pitch for this barrel.

A lot of guys have threaded their own barrels. Just make sure you use at thread alignment tool to ensure you don't accidentally thread it at a screwed up angle or something.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:58:59 AM EDT
Thanks much for the info. It does not have a break and looking at the pictures it appears that the barrel is the same diameter after the fsb. I'll have to take a look after it gets here and see what's going on. I saw there was a company that was making AK pattern muzzle devices for 1/2-28 threads for barrels that have been turned down to get rid of the original threads. Worst case it looks like I'll have to go that way.
Top Top